+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Fly shops near Albany, NY?

Default Fly shops near Albany, NY?

Hey,

I just moved right up by Albany NY and it seems like fly shops are few and far between. I don't think there are any I can find within a hours drive. Does anyone know of anything closer to the capital region? For an area with a high population that's right between the catskills and the adirondacks I would think there would be something. Thanks for any help!

Tom

Wilmington, Binghamton, Hancock and the Flyschack in Gloversville, NY These are not close by.

Hi Tom,

There's really not much at all besides Goldstock's in Scotia, and they just have a flyfishing/tying section though it's not bad at all. Taylor and Vadneys used to carry fly tying stuff but don't any longer. Dick's is the same way. I have to do just about all my shopping online and I live just southwest of Albany. You have to drive quite a ways just to find streams that actually have much in the way of trout in them as well if that's what you like to fish for.

Regards,
    Mark

Thanks! I ended up going to Goldstocks. They have a decent selection and the guy knew what he was talking about. I have still yet to explore the trout fishing in the area but know its not great and some driving is required.

+ Reply to Thread