+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Johnscott's FOTW

Default Johnscott's FOTW

Well John, You did it again. Nice fly. Are they affective in SE Idaho in July? My wife and I are planning a trip to Mt Rushmore then Wyoming and Idaho. We should be in Idaho Falls area by July 15. I hope to fish some of your old stomping grounds, meet the Glissmeyers and shop at Jimmy's. I have been tying up some flys to use and hope to do as well as the reports out of that area sound.
    Not sure of the floss legs so am using sili legs in a few patterns. I will try the bugs in the Owens River first to see if they work out here. Thanks for all your support and fishing posts. Jim
    I'm either going to, coming from or thinking about fishing. Jim

Jim, I'm looking forward to meeting you and your wife as well! There are a whole mess of places to fish in July and the rubber legs aka:"Big Ugly" works well on most of them. I have found that chenille with a bit of flash mixed in works wonders on the SF and HF of the Snake. I also tie them in a Rust Orange color which has also been very productive. Great FOTW John, Its one of my favorites!

Mike
    Get Em!

Hey John,
    Nice fly. I'm in the handicapped for talent in tying department so I will NOT be able to replicate your creation. However, if you are inclined to help us/we who are SO handicapped, by sharing some of your flys- flies, i would be happy to provide my address and I assure you ALL resulting hook-ups would be credited to YOU

Mark

It seems the Girdle Bug has been usurped and is lost to history - and the RUBBER LEGS STONEFLY NYMPH has no parents or lineage. So sad.

http://flyanglersonline.com/flytying...081400fotw.php
    http://www.danica.com/flytier/asimon/girdle_bug.htm
    http://www.flytying.ca/images/wet%20...0wet%20fly.jpg
    http://www.bigyflyco.com/items/nymph...Bug-detail.htm

Normand Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Greg H View Post
    how true. i always thought they were girdle bugs!

so tell me....if one ties all 3 strands of rubber leg onto the hook at the same point, say the front third of the hook, separates the rubber legs, then wraps the chenille up to then between each strand can it be called the xgb and claimed to be a "new" tie?? answer: no, just a modification of the original with credit to the original fly.
    "There's more B.S. in fly fishing than there is in a Kansas feedlot." Lefty Kreh
    I can't say about fly fishing but there's a lot of feed lots in Kansas.
    Wes' Pattern Book
    http://www.flypatternbook.net

Wes, that is actually the way I have started tying them. It saves on time and the end result is very close to the same. I only tie them with two strands, as well as the tails and antennae. I tie in one long piece, loop it back, tie it in, cut to size, and then wrap the chenille between them.

Mike
    Get Em!

Default You're welcome, Jim

This is a highly effective pattern, in various sizes and colors, for any trout stream or river in the Intermountain West that has a population of stoneflies.

Hopefully, others who haven't seen this pattern before, regardless what it is called or that it has no parents or lineage, or who have seen it but haven't settled on a tying sequence, will get something out of the write-up.

John

P.S. You can't do much better fishing SE Idaho than joining up with the Glissmeyers.
    The fish are always right.

Blog Entries

That pattern works like a hot damn here in SWAB.. just ask the Browns, Rainbows, Bulls and Cutts with sore lips.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnScott View Post
    This is a highly effective pattern, in various sizes and colors, for any trout stream or river in the Intermountain West that has a population of stoneflies.

Hopefully, others who haven't seen this pattern before, regardless what it is called or that it has no parents or lineage, or who have seen it but haven't settled on a tying sequence, will get something out of the write-up.

John

P.S. You can't do much better fishing SE Idaho than joining up with the Glissmeyers.
    As in the Army, I have never had a bad day Fly fishing, some damn uncomfortable days but never a bad one!
    Everyone must believe in something and I believe in Fly Fishing and Fly Tying and believe I will
    Member of Project Healing Waters & Fly Fishing Canada, Project Healing Waters Canada

Yes, it's a great fly and my anchor fly whenever and wherever I nymph fish, but, do you know the secret color combination? Really no secret, but it sure seems to get the fish - just about anywhere, anytime.

Here's the Kid's favorite color:

...and here's mine:

Here's a better look at my favorite:

I like a little flash so I get it with the chenille that I use.

Kelly.
    Last edited by kglissmeyer; 05-26-2010 at 07:54 PM.
    Tight Lines,

Kelly.

"There will be days when the fishing is better than one's most optimistic forecast, others when it is far worse. Either is a gain over just staying home."

Roderick Haig-Brown, "Fisherman's Spring"

+ Reply to Thread