+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Steelhead rod for a rookie?

Default Steelhead rod for a rookie?

Hello,

I should probably start by introducing myself. My name is Steve and I'm a Great Lakes steelhead junkie.

I'm thinking about trying my hand at fly fishing come spring and don't really know much when it comes to equipment. I'm thinking...invest in the reel and if I get hooked, I'd build the 'perfect' rod. So, your recommendations and advice on equipment are greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance,
    Steve

Welcome aboard. The perfect steelhead rod? Hmmm. Is there such a thing? Well I have 4 that I use for steel ranging from 6-10 wt. 9-10ft. If I'm planning on drifting nymphs or egg patterns in winter I'll go with the 6wt. If I'm swinging streamers and speys I'll go with an 8wt. In high water I will sometimes go with a 10wt. that helps me cast a heavy sink tip and weighted streamers. So a 6wt is a little light for most and the 10wt. a bit heavy so if I had to choose just one I would say a 10 ft. for a 7 or 8wt. If the fish in your area average 8lbs. or less I would lean to the lighter rods. Rod length also depends on the river you fish, the longer the better to me, but if your fishing a small river a 10 or 11ft rod may be a bit much. I prefer fast action rods for streamers, slower action for nymphing. One more thing I would hold off buying the reel without the rod. I think you will be better off looking for both at the same time. Your rod choice could (should) affect your reel choice. Well I hope this helps.

Mr. Steelhead Junkie. I was brought up in the N.W. and have fished allot of streams for Steelhead, Choho's and Chinook with the fly. I had the good fortune one Late December day to fish along side Jim Teeny a somewhat handy person with a fly rod when it comes to hooking and landing the steelhead on a fly. This was back in the late 70's, things have changed somewhat since then, but the fish are still the same only the amount of money needed to catch one has gone up. Jim endorses what appears to be a very fine rod for TFO (Temple Forks Outfitters), you cn find them on the sponsors page here on the website. His Jim Teeny rods in my opinion would be excellent for the searun or the smallie. As others before have said, a 7 or 8 would handle the waters the leader and the fly for the challanges you will face for sucess. The rod is $199.00 retail for any othe sizes, it is 9ft and four piece. AKALOOKER on the for sale website has a St Croix 8 weight for $55.00 still available is that would fit your pocket book better. I have used 9ft 9wt and a 8ft 7 weight. The 9footer mends better in the swifter larger waters, the 8ft was used on the smaller Oregon and Washington coastal streams. I stick with 7-1/2ft leaders 3X. Flies, Brads Brat and Purple Joe were my favorites. Sink tip line or full sinking, depending on the water color and time of year. Use what you have, get on the water and make a steelhead mad. Thats what its all about. Good luck, Jonezee

------------------
    I learn more about the world while talking to myself when fishing alone

Been usng a 9ft 6wt, butjust got a 10t 7wt. Heading for Elk Creek in the am; let ya know how it worked out.
    My experience tells me the extra lenght is gonna be useful.

Sorry ole man Steelhead Junkie, AKALOOKERS rod is a Martin 9footer 7 wt. Still possible big bang for small bucks. The earlier suggestion about waiting to get the reel when you make or purchase your rod is good suggestion. I didn't mention, I have used everything from old Pfluger 1494 with 7wts to my Hardy Princess and Zenith for the larger lines. The first steelhead I caught years ago was on an old H&I with a Shakespear (Kalamazoo) simple fly reel and line that looked more like backing than anything else, and you gussed it a Royal Coachman bucktail. Again, use what you have get on the water.

GobyOneGnoby
    You see Steve the right equitment verys a lot from person to person. My advice is to cast as many rod as you can before making a choice, also what helps is to talk to people in the areas you plan on fishing and make friend with them. There nothing like fishing with someone who as knowledges of the area you wish to fish.
    Ghost

------------------
    time is like a river running though the world, if you dont take a moment to sit and watch it go by we loose so much. GrayGhost

+ Reply to Thread