+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: King of the canal

I know what you mean about confidence regarding flies and i'm thinking presentation would be to lead then add speed judging by the lead eyes. I will tye some of those and try them on the local lmb and smb...thanks again bfw.

Cheers,

MontanaMoose

Quote Originally Posted by bonefishwhisperer View Post
    ...they require confidence and presentation but will slay anything that swims

MontanaMoose,

There are a few different ways you HAVE to experiece snook fishing. Backcounty is a MUST...what a blast. I had one that was almost 30 inches hammer a gartside gurgler with crystal chenile for the body and blue foam, with crystal flash for the tail. My first cast was a few feet away so I didn't spook it, it never even looked at it. My next cast landed about 6 inches right in front of it. There was NO hesitation! That fish darted forward, I did a strip strike and, man, whoooooo, what a fight!

Depending on the time of the year you go, you HAVE to walk the beach and cast to them as they lie just feet off the beach. It's just amazing! And then you HAVE to try night fishing around a dock light. I don't know quite how to put that one into words...I'll just let you give it a try and blubber about it like I do.

I just love fishing for those babies!

TT.

Thanks Thunderthumbs, well the beach walk really appeals to me but the dock light thing...now that has to be crazy awesome...i've gone out in a boat at night lmb fishing with a lantern on the middle seat of a jon boat so i think casting to the lighted water for something 30" would be a whole lot of fun. Will definitely keep that in mind for when i go.

Cheers,

MontanaMoose

On my last trip to FL I had one hit my fly as I stripped it through the lit-up water. It was so bit that I couldn't stop it with my 9wt before it got me wrapped around a piling. My leader broke of course, but I've never felt a fish pull that hard before, not even the 4 foot mako shark I got to the boat late at night out in the pacific. It was INSANE!!!

TT.

i caught a 5' blue but not on fly gear. Not real hard to land with the 'derrick' i was using. About a 15 wt., 11' long and a heavy duty spinning reel loaded with 50 lb. mono. I'd rather caught it on my 9wt. That would have been a tussle and way more fun. Ok, ok...an 11 wt then.

cheers,

MontanaMoose

+ Reply to Thread