+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: After dinner fun!

Default After dinner fun!

I know the old adage, if there's no pictures it didn't happen, but I thought I share my last hour or so on the lake. I got off from work earlier enough to get home, eat and get a few moments on the small lake I live on. It started out very slow with only one tiny hit and I actually thought I might get skunked AT THIS TIME OF YEAR Then my old standby stretch of water came through for me. In the last 20 minutes, I landed 8 very nice bream and one nice bass. The smallest bream was just under 11 inches long and the two largest were just over 14 inches. The bass was only about 15-16 inches long but this spot has two very old submerged trees, so it's always a challenge to keep them out of the limbs. Especially while using my 3 wt outfit and me in my kayak trying not to get pulled in too close to shore to spook the other fish. I only stayed out for an hour or so but it was loads of fun and more relaxing than a double martini.

Jim Smith

Quote Originally Posted by James Smith View Post
    The smallest bream was just under 11 inches long and the two largest were just over 14 inches.
    In response to the above statement...

Yikes!!!!!
    If it swims and eats, it'll eat a fly.

Quivara kid,

Thanks for a good chuckle to start my day! I agree with your posting. I actually have a fairly good digital camera but it belongs to my company and I'm a bit chicken to take it out on the water. That being said, your creative response to my post has driven me over the edge and I the next time out, the camera goes with me in the kayak. Hopefully I'll have a need to use it

Jim

Jim,
    I'm just teasing ya! Gills that reach 14" are what my dreams are made of... For you to be catching nothing under 11" has me more than jealous! My camera doesn't go anywhere near mud or water without being in its Pelican case. Look 'em up. They're definitely worth the investment. Indestructible and water tight!
    Keep workin on those fish!
    Zac

I am very fortunate to live on a 35 ytear old 50 acre lake that receives VERY little fishing pressure and 90+% of that is for bass. Since it is a subdivision with 40 houses around the lake, not many people are interested in keeping and eating anything they catch. Too much potential run off from the lawns. I'm the only person that fly fishes and it has a nice population of some really big bream. It's mainly the RedEar Sunfish that get that big, but I will occastionally get a 12 inch bluegill if I'm lucky.

I am also a big fan of Pelican boxes and use them to protect equipment at work. I still plan on getting the camera out and taking photos of some of these fish, even if it's only to kid my son (who's my fishing buddy) about the size of the bream he catches.

I'll post photos when I get them.

Jim

Are you game for adopting another son and daughter-in-law?

Been there done that, but if you ever find yourseld in the Atlanta area with some time on your hands, drop me a line. I have all the gear and you can use the kayak as much as you'd like.

Jim

Hi Jim,

I've been married a long time, and you probablly don't have a sister to spare anyway, but would you consider an HONORARY brother in law?

Just kidding.

Seriously though, it sounds like you get into some very serious red ears and bluegills, and I would love to see a picture! (If I even catch an 11 inch green sunfish it is an ocassion to be talked about for years!)

Regards,

Gandolf

Gandolf, an 11" greenie would try to take a 3wt to the backing!

+ Reply to Thread