+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pearsall Gossamer Silk Thread?

Default Pearsall Gossamer Silk Thread?

so i was considering buying/ordering some Pearsall Gossamer Silk Thread- my local shop does not carry it- and though the fish seem to like the thread i use just fine- i thought i might play with it a bit.

but i have a couple of questions---- and thanks in advance for any info!

1. is there a specific bobbin choice for these spools? or will the regular ol' doc slick ceramics i've got work?

2. does anyone notice that the fish actually prefers this thread?

cheers!
    aquabone.

You need to get a bobbin that fits the Pearsall's, Wasatch, Mattrelli and there's one other. I use Pearsall's silk a lot and have not had any comment from any fish of whether they prefer it over man made stuff. What silk does is become translucent whereas others don't, it gives depth to the fly.

What narcodog said.

If you're looking to make thread bodied flies, there's two good reasons for using it. One is the translucency thing, and since most mayfly spinners are translucent, might actually make a difference. The other is that it changes color when wet; if you're following a recipe that calls for silk of a certain color, and you substitute a synthetic thread of the same color (when dry) it's going to be the wrong color when wet. A good example is the partridge and orange -- when wet, it's rust colored, and makes a great rusty spinner. If you'd used an orange synthetic thread, it would still be orange when wet, and might not be such a good choice in a match the hatch situation (but might make a better attractor fly)
    Bob

Hi All;

The least expensive bobbin I've found for Pearsalls thread is offered by Cascade Crest tools: http://cascadecrest.com/index.php?pa...mart&Itemid=32

It appears to be similart in construction to Griffin ceramics but, at only $9.00, works really well for me.

Wayne

I've read that silk traps a air bubble next to the body just behind the hackle. i think that was in syl nemes book, maybe not.
    "There's more B.S. in fly fishing than there is in a Kansas feedlot." Lefty Kreh
    I can't say about fly fishing but there's a lot of feed lots in Kansas.
    Wes' Pattern Book
    http://www.flypatternbook.net

I don't remember reading that but I miss stuff. Silk does not retain air that I am aware of and you have to wax silk so I don't see how that would happen. Now the hackle will trap some air as most soft hackle hackle will do. If you put a dab of dubbing behind the hackle that will catch some bubbles. It will also change the action of the hackle. No dubbing the hackle folds back and you get more action. A dab of dubbing makes the hackle stand up more keeping it from lying back. Some patterns call for them to be fished either up stream or down and that in some case determines where you place your dubbing.

If you want to catch bubbles in any wet type fly apply some Frogs Fanny.

Probably didn't quite answer your question but maybe it gave you some answers to another question.

Don't forget the wax and there are many, I have about ten different waxes that I use and I am always looking for more.

Some of the best wax that I found for S/H's I get from Jim Slattery at jimsflyco.com

The Materelli Material bobbin works.

- thanks for the feedback everyone!

I thought that silk thread came on the narrow sewing machine size bobbins, The Cascade holders shown in this thread are definitely not for them.

I bought a Matarelli bobbin, hideously expensive and too tight. Then I tried with a Griffin floss bobbin. Worked much better and 1/3 the price.

+ Reply to Thread