+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: woolly bugger pattern question

Default woolly bugger pattern question

i order both grizzly and black saddle hackle for tying woolly buggers but i one book calls for one and the other book i have says grizzly what do guys use for black woolly buggers and olive buggers.

thanks
    Deon

I use both, just depends on what mood im in. Try both and see what the fish like better.

Also, please try using a piece of rabbit Zonker strip to replace the marabou, or try tying in a marabou tail and then winding the body by just wrapping the rest of the marabou up along the hook shank and not using any hackle at all, or try adding a little red yarn head at the eye.
    Experimenting with things like this adds to the fun. Good luck.

Anderson, South Carolina (Northwest corner of SC) USA

Hi Deon,

I've used both grizzly and black hackle on my black woolly buggers for years and have no real preference. From the practical point of view, most of my grizzle hackle is smaller in size than my black hackle so I tend to use grizzly for my smaller or mini buggers. I'm sure purple, brown and olive would also work on a basic black bugger and catch lots of fish. Tie with which ever colors you have in abundance and fish the flies with confidence. 8T

Default When in trouble, when in doubt....

When in trouble, when in doubt, run in circle's screaming, "Wooly Bugger"!

I dress my Wooly Buggers in various colorations, using various materials and hooks. I am very much like using "Blood Quill Marabou" for the tail section, with some flashbou tinsel. The body can be chenille, poly yarn, wool yarn, peacock herl (green or bronze), ostrich herl or emu herl (various colors). Whatever you think will cause the fish to bite.

The Egg Sucking Leech is a "Wooly Bugger" on a Salmon Hook. I have used it for Bass and Walleyes.

The Chamois Egg Sucking Leech, is another "Wooly Bugger" variation.

The Olive Willy is another example of a "Wooly Bugger".

All are found on FAOL in the "Fly of the Week" archives there are many more on the site (various archive locations), there is even have one in Al Campbell's Beginning Fly Tying series.

Wooly Buggers are just an extension of the Wooly Worm patterns.

Use any colors you wish, purple, chartreuse, red, pink, yellow, orange, white, brown....whatever you think will work....
    Last edited by Steven McGarthwaite; 04-18-2010 at 06:32 AM.

I usually tie mine with grizzly rather than using feathers with a single shade b/c minnows, crayfish, and other possible wooly bugger imitations are not all one shade - they all have uneven coloring for one reason or another (scales, etc..).

For Black WB's I use a Black Hackle. For Olive I use a Brown Hackle. Dont know why, just the way I have done it for 30 years. Like Garb72 said, tie both and let the fish decide which is best.

Hi Deon;

You need to purchase the book "Wooly Wisdom" it has literally hundreds or wooly bugger/worm patterns! You'll learn more about wooly patterns than you thought possible!

My two personal favorites are the "chili pepper" and "Jay's Pautuxent Special" neither which are black or olive.

Wayne

I wouldn't say there i sa right-or -wrong way to tie a bugger. I tie most of mine with black hackle. Although looking at my streamer box now.....there are quite a few grizzly hackles.

Blog Entries

I use grizzly on just about everything

+ Reply to Thread