+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: South Western Alberta and beyond, 2010 to 2011 Fly Fishing Season.

Blog Entries

Default South Western Alberta and beyond, 2010 to 2011 Fly Fishing Season.

Well folks it is finally here, the much anticipated, much heralded, much loved..Hahahaha you get it! This is my 2010/2011 Fly Fishing Season Report.

Got off to a great start 01 April 2010, April fools, thought mother nature was going to pull a fast one on me and give me a perfect day to fish waters that had just opened up and had not another fresh foot print in the soil, but no fish. Well John Scotts' PSC turned the day around, I tied it behind a RPF Woolly Bugger and it was the ticket, as I do not carry other lines only the floating line and lots of leader mat, the only thing to hit the RPFWB was an over eager Bull trout about 10" long, who shot out from under the ice I was standing on to hit the RPFWB HARD and then fly out of the water spin around and shoot right back under the ice, I would have sworn I was hallucinating but Thor my wife's Golden Retriever had that where did the fish go look..

Fisher played his April Fools trick on me with a 6' stick he wanted me to throw!!! Crazy Dog..

I will try not to miss reporting a trip from now until 31 March 2011 but can't promise you that, I do intend to be at the Idaho Fish In in Sept, so that should be fun, I also fully intend to fish Montana with JS this year..

Fresh water.

Fischers April Fools day trick, "throw this for me"

Hope I have seen the last of this

and more of this..

Hogs with the PSC.

Note the only reason I have the net is because my hand is still messed up from the accident, and I do not take the fish out of the water if I can help it, this is just my preference, not a judgment, or meant to be judged.

Remember Egos and ignorance are a trouts worst enemy on a river.
    As in the Army, I have never had a bad day Fly fishing, some damn uncomfortable days but never a bad one!
    Everyone must believe in something and I believe in Fly Fishing and Fly Tying and believe I will
    Member of Project Healing Waters & Fly Fishing Canada, Project Healing Waters Canada

Exclamation Dang, Ray ....

.... can't figure out which I like better - the pic of Fischer with the log or the third one of the PSC with a hog. So I guess I'll just have to like them equally well.

Great start on your '10 / '11 thread. Omissions and interruptions are permitted for good reasons. But there ain't any good reasons !!

John
    The fish are always right.

Excellent, excellent post. Can't wait to follow this through the year! Thanks for sharing.

Kelly.
    Tight Lines,

Kelly.

"There will be days when the fishing is better than one's most optimistic forecast, others when it is far worse. Either is a gain over just staying home."

Roderick Haig-Brown, "Fisherman's Spring"

Awesome photos and great report!!!!!!

You sure have some nice looking water there.

Blog Entries

Kelly and Sasha Thank you both very much I am looking forward to this year, already have several multi-day trips planed..
    As in the Army, I have never had a bad day Fly fishing, some damn uncomfortable days but never a bad one!
    Everyone must believe in something and I believe in Fly Fishing and Fly Tying and believe I will
    Member of Project Healing Waters & Fly Fishing Canada, Project Healing Waters Canada

Blog Entries

Default Fun and Challenging day! 08 April 10

Had a fun day on the water the fishing was great but and there is always a but the catching proved to be challenging to say the least.

We started the day off with 80+kmH winds, so that changed out plans of fishing the Oldman River in the newly opened section, it is a straight west to east flow and would be like casting into a wind tunnel facing the wrong direction !!!!!

So we went to the Crowsnest river to hide from the wind, we did until it started to snow, but that was when it started to get interesting!!!

As it started to snow the fish started to look up and see what the weather was like and they liked what they saw, at least they liked the little Midges and BWOs that were floating by, WHAT THEY DID NOT LIKE WAS ANY OF MY BWO OR MIDGE PATTERNS Yes I yelled that last part.. it was one of the most beautiful and frustrating days I have had on the water all winter, I still count that day as winter

I was so intent on the fish I did not even think of a picture of the time, my partner for the day "Trouthunter Andy is a relative newbie to Fly fishing and did not know what was going on! I had to explain it to him that to catch a trout in those conditions was a real feat!!!!

I will be fly fishing the Bow river for the first time this Wednesday, will post my utter defeat after, I am going to Calgary to give a presentation on PHW&FFC, to the Hook and Hackle Club.

Here are the Pictures I managed that day.

I still do not have a vehicle to travel (my wife's Matrix is great but not a fishing veh) tha thas been slowing down my spring flings..
    The menu at least part of the menu.

Kewl

the other half or second course.

one of my favorite lakes is open but darn windy as always.

this is the type of pig that comes from it

Out of every weather condition, wind is the one I hate the most.

Great report and pics!

Love the reports, honored to have them here on FAOL. Thanks a bunch!
    LF

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by LadyFisher View Post
    Love the reports, honored to have them here on FAOL. Thanks a bunch!
    LF
    Why Thank You kind lady! That is awful nice of you to say, I do believe I am Blushing!

Blog Entries

Default Well be careful what you wish for.

I asked in a PM if Montana had any moisture they could spare, Well watch what you ask for Cause you just might get it.. IN SPADESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSNOW!!!!!!

Top deck usually 20 - 25c this time of year, 40-45c in the summer, if it ever shows up this year!!

Dirty waders that were gifted to PHWC , getting cleaned thanks to Mother Nature..

My Fur kids eating alfresco..in the snow..

some small signs of spring,

What has this to do with spring, I was going to hit a city lake known for big brood stock, Brookies, Browns and Rainbows from the local University and then fish up in Calgary on the Bow in the morning - we will see!

+ Reply to Thread