+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: EP Baitfish

Default EP Baitfish

Here's a pretty nice video:

http://flyartstudio.com/wordpress/?p=634

Only complaint I have are with the "special effects" during the trimming/shaping sequences, but overall it's good.

Regards,
    Scott

I have to admit that I have never tied any of these and I want to this year for smallmouth bass. I bet the browns would love these too. thanks for sharing the link.

Clay,

If you do, and you're looking to save some money, I'd recommend substituting Congo Hair for the EP fibers. It works just as well, excellent color selection and costs less than half of the EP fibers. You can find it at Fly Tyers Dungeon http://www.flytyersdungeon.com/Mater...thetichair.htm

Regards,
    Scott

I second ScottP's sugestion to use Congo Hair, great stuff at a fraction of the price of EP fibers.

Here's another video how to: http://www.flyfishohio.com/Puglisi_Baitfish.htm

I tied a Congo hair baitfish pattern with angel hair lateral line white over chartreuse with a touh of yellow on the belly. It was my best warmwater pattern last year, both bass and crappie hit it with abandon.

Wayne

Thanks guys will order some Congo hair this morning. Do you think that I should order two packages of the popular colors like white and Chartreuse? Just don't know how big the packages are. Just want to tie a few doz. Will need some for me and my fishing partner. Thanks for the other link Wayne. Crappies huh? Interesting.

Clay,

I like to order the commercial packs - longer hanks/more hair. Biggest thing to learn when tying these flies is using the proper amount of hair; my first few flies I used way too much; sparse is definitely better. One other thing - Flytyer's Dungeon is a one-man operation and there are times when it takes a little while to get your order filled; please be patient with him, he's doing his best, and the product's worth the wait. Here's a color chart for Congo Hair if you're interested in other colors (guess you could order from here, too, although price is a little higher): http://fatbluegill.com/catalog/index...products_id=15

Regards,
    Scott

Scott,

Thanks for posting. I was wondering how to tie those flies. I was wondering if the EP/Congo hair could be used for Clousers - particularly large saltwater Clousers?

Greybeard

Got an email from the Dungeon recently ...he's got some new stuff that's coming out that he compared to Congo....you might want to check his website or with him...

I have white, black, chart in the shopping cart, but what other 3 or 4 colors should a guy have to get started before I order all of them? HA, never tied a single one of these and don't want to spend $80 on materials only to find out that I suck at it. Ducksterman, thanks for the heads up.

Olive, gray (charcoal) and tan or brown are good to have for general baitfish patterns; if you're tying for crappies, how about yellow?

Regards,
    Scott

+ Reply to Thread