+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fly Fishing North Carolina/Surrounding Areas

Default Fly Fishing North Carolina/Surrounding Areas

Hello, I just recently got stationed in Jacksonville NC and I was wondering what people know about fly fishing in this state. The good shops to go to the streams I'm on the coast in the middle of the state so I'v come to reality that I'm going to have to drive 5 hours to get to any good stream. Also if you know any good fly shops to go to. I'm originally from missouri so I'm looking for shops like Hardgroves and Feathercraft seeing as how I need to get a whole new fishing set up for out here, and streams like the current river and the little piney.

Thanks for all your help and knowledge.

stan
    Last edited by Fender104; 02-15-2010 at 12:05 PM.

Stan,

Although the nearest trout stream may be a bit of a haul, you're right in the heart of some fantastic saltwater flyfishing opportunities. New River Inlet, Bogue Inlet/Bogue Sound, Beaufort Inlet, Harker's Island/Cape Lookout - all those areas have great fishing for redfish, sea trout, false albacore, bonito, bluefish, spanish mackerel, etc. Check Brian Horsley's site for some great information/fishing reports/patterns if you're interested: http://outerbanksflyfishing.com/forum/ I'm sure there's also some excellent warmwater opportunities for bass & panfish.

Regards,
    Scott

I am interested in saltwater fly fishing, but I have no idea how to go about doing it where is a local fly shop around here that I can go to.

Intracoastal Angler is in Wrightsville Beach/Wilmington http://www.intracoastalangler.com/ ; Cape Lookout Fly Shop is in Atlantic Beach http://www.captjoes.com/flyshop_Contents.htm You could contact them; also put out some queries on Brian Horsley's forum - lots of good info there and folks are willing to help out. Reeltime forum is another good source of info http://www.reel-time.com/fishwire/nc...w-fw.htm#shops If you get a chance to fish the false albacore run in the fall, take it. When it's good, it's unbelievable.

Regards,
    Scott
    Last edited by ScottP; 02-15-2010 at 02:03 PM.

Can I do salt water fishing from the shore and if so where should I try out first.

Only place I've fished from shore was at the Hook at Cape Lookout; did catch some false albacore but a boat gives you much more flexibility. Plenty of beaches in the area to try, I'm sure there will be fish available.

Regards,
    Scott

Blog Entries

Great Smokey Mountains National Park for trout. Complete other end of the state but you won't regret looking into it. R&R Flyfishing has a good website but they are on the Tenn. side of the park.

Default Fly Fishing Shops and fishing NC

Two great shops I can recommend are in Raleigh, a couple of hours from Jacksonville: Great Outdoor Provisions Company (GOPC) and Orvis Raleigh. The first is an NC chain with stores in Raleigh and several other Piedmont cities (has a web site), the second is an actual Orvis store, not a dealer, address on the main web site. In addition to saltwater (wade fishing in inshore waters is extensive, subject to tides), you should check out the great to fantastic warm water fishing surrounding you. The most famous is Currituck Sound, on the coast to the northeast of Jacksonville. Topwater bass fishing, accessible by boat and wading, varies in quality from year to year with grass growth and salinity, but can be about the best there is in good years. Every river in the coastal plain offers a variety of bass and panfishing, and several offer annual shad runs. Check out any body of water you see for bass and panfish. Don't forget that NC has licenses for general freshwater fishing, trout in designated fisheries, and saltwater (even on foot on the bays and sounds). Trout fishing is available throughout the mountain region, not just in the Smokies--the brothers that own GOPC used to be terrific authorities on NC trout fishing, but that was thirty years ago, and they are close to my age, so may or may not be actively engaged in the store day to day anymore. Davidson River Outfitters (in Brevard) and both Hunter Banks Outfitters and Curtis Wright Outfitters (in Asheville and Weaverville) are great sources of advice, tackle, and guided trips in the mountains.

Fishing is virtually year-round in eastern NC--enjoy!
    -CC

I was stationed at Cherry Point. I did do Sgt's Course at Lejeune though.

It is a drive I know but you have to get out to Boone/Asheville area and fish there man. You will like it.

My preference is Boone because of the college there. I ponly fished there once and it was dead of winter but I had a good time!

If you know anyone with a boat then there is also the Spanish mackerel and Blues out there.

Navy or Marine?
    The sport is so royal that there is neither gentle nor villein, if it knew of it and loved it well, who would not be more honoured for that reason by all who understand it.

The streams around ASheville and near Brevard are excellent, particularly the Davidson...It's tough, but has big fish.The Watauga ain't shabby, either. I think the shop in Brevard is called The Davidson River Outfitters.

+ Reply to Thread