+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Something else to consider

Default Something else to consider

I thought I'd keep this idea separate from the "pay for signature line links" thread. Cuz...that's a good idea too, and this is an additional opportunity for LF/FAOL to possibly get $$.

FAOL is totally a great COMMUNITY of folks, with daily helpful suggestions, stories, ideas. Its irreplaceable, and a main reason we each log in daily...or multiple times daily.

I was thinking about some of the other major assets FAOL has, and how unthinkable it would be to existing and future fly anglers if these things were ever lost.

One thing was all the fly patterns in the forums and FOTW archives. I know there's somebody on here that has these all nicely saved/organized, and is willing to share.

Another is Al's fly-tying lessons. Also, all the articles that have been submitted over the years...

Wouldn't it be great to have a DVD/Multi-DVD Set of all the tying & casting lessons/articles, as well as all of the other various articles archived? Even if you've been around FAOL for years, and have looked through most of the stuff....Who wouldn't want to BUY a set? I sure would!
    FAOL could offer these for sale, make a profit, AND ensure that this info never gets lost. Seems like a WIN-WIN.

Just an idea, I have not concept of what kind of an undertaking this might be to actually get it done. But, if such a thing were made available, I'd buy not only for myself, but might also buy as gifts for other fly anglers I know, and recommend to other fly anglers, new or experienced. Can you imagine?
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

Dave, If I remember right, someone is working on cds of Al's lessons.
    I agree I would love some of the patterns, casting lessons, ETC. on cd/dvd. I wonder if it is possible to get them copywrited, with permission from the right people, to the sight, possibly another source of income!!
    Wyo-Blizzard

That'd be Parnelli.
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Byron Zuehlsdorff View Post
    Dave, If I remember right, someone is working on cds of Al's lessons.
    I agree I would love some of the patterns, casting lessons, ETC. on cd/dvd. I wonder if it is possible to get them copywrited, with permission from the right people, to the sight, possibly another source of income!!
    Exactly! Its a LOT of great info!
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

Blog Entries

I wholeheartedly agree I would love a copy, and one for my son..
    As in the Army, I have never had a bad day Fly fishing, some damn uncomfortable days but never a bad one!
    Everyone must believe in something and I believe in Fly Fishing and Fly Tying and believe I will
    Member of Project Healing Waters & Fly Fishing Canada, Project Healing Waters Canada

Blog Entries

Can they be produced economically?
    Kevin

Be careful how you live. You may be the only Bible some person ever reads.

Quote Originally Posted by kbproctor View Post
    Can they be produced economically?
    Others here might be able to answer this question better. Obviously, blank DVD's are cheap. Not sure what it would cost to mass-produce vs. having someone create them one-by-one on a home computer, for example. It'd probably take somebody some time to organize the material in a logical/appealing way on the DVD. I suppose it could be as simple as "folders/subfolders/files"...or something more fancy.

Even though the info is available here for free, I'd still pay to have a hard copy.
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

Since the articles/patterns database continually grows, maybe every-other-year or so, "Update CD's" for years 201x-201y could be offered for sale as well?
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

Come to think of it...cost to produce such a thing could perhaps be defrayed by including willing corporate sponsors on the DVD?

I would think if fly-fishing product companies/outfitters/etc new about this, they'd be rather eager to get their name associated with this?
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

Default and more....

In the past Parnelli has produced an CD of the Fly of the Week for the previous year. If asked nicely, he might just do one again. As I recall they are free with the exception you have to send him a CD to cut it on.

Dr. Hugo Gibson (Thunderthumbs) has produced the first in a series of VIDEOS, which are the fly tying instructions by Al Campbell. He intends to produce the complete series for FAOL, and they will be archived here as well.

Hugo and I have also produced the first Podcast, with a little background on how FAOL got started. Both the Video and Podcast are at Ron Tidds waiting for him to finish up a huge, important project which pays the bills at his house. Ron has also been working (in his spare time) on cataloging all of FAOL and creating the new look. Just a update, all the goodies will still be here.

Everything which appears on FAOL is covered by my copyrights, which are both as the registered, trademarked FAOL, and me personally.

Stay tuned, more to come!

+ Reply to Thread