Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ok so I have been fishing and thinking..

Blog Entries

Lightbulb Ok so I have been fishing and thinking, how to help FAOL ..

Hi some of you know that I do a lot of Fly fishing, will it might surprise you to know that I do some thinking also, so when fishing was slow yesterday, and then the river turned to chocolate milk, gladly we were on the right side of the river when the tidal wave came down, I thought of this..

First I LOVE THIS FORUM, it was the first one I joined, it is the first one I go to for straight information, it is invaluable to me!!!! it is priceless..

So following the "FAOL what is it worth to you" got me thinking.
    If I was in the owners waders how would I secure the Forums future.. what little thing have I missed.

Then it hit me like a PETA tofu cream pie... no single shaft of sunlight beamed on me , but I think this one of my brighter moments..

I have noticed the links on many many Forums members signature , that little link to Joe Bloggins home spun trout fly . com and the I love fish . blog. they are very effective free advertising for the Member and some of them have been around for a long long time..

So how does this help Lady Fisher well how about this ( this is where folks have to pay attention) I have a couple of options to purpose -

1)Mandatory $10.00USD a year fee for signature link, no if ands or buts.. link to be removed if necessary. ( personally this one is heavy handed and more like me and not the Ladyfisher)

2) $10.00USD a year fee, for signature link, Please.

3) Fee for the link based on what link owner works out with Forum owner.

4) $100.00 fee for link, per year, again this is more my thinking..

5) Voluntary fee for signature links to be voted on and agreed on by the Forum owner..

so there is five options, Plse critique, vote, chase me down and stone me, but lets figure this out and help FAOL.

Told you it is bad when fishing is slow and I start thinking.. hope the rivers clear up by the end of the week!! I need to go fishing again...
    Last edited by flyfishfairwx; 02-10-2010 at 06:42 PM.
    As in the Army, I have never had a bad day Fly fishing, some damn uncomfortable days but never a bad one!
    Everyone must believe in something and I believe in Fly Fishing and Fly Tying and believe I will
    Member of Project Healing Waters & Fly Fishing Canada, Project Healing Waters Canada

Try more fishing and less thinkin will you!

Fine idea you got there!

I'm in...

Default Me too *S*

Just so you know, flyfishfairwx did run this by me before he posted it. I think it is a wonderful idea, and does just what he says it does - and it sure seems to be fair. I'd like you input on this, please?

I started a blog in 2009. Maybe I'm doing it all wrong...but I don't make any money from it, and wouldn't really know HOW to. It wasn't the reason I started the blog. More, it is just another repository/record of what I love to do (fishing), and it gives me a way to share it with others that might be interested. I think most of what I post on my blog, I usually end up posting in the FAOL forums anyway. Most of the people that publicly "follow" my blog don't visit FAOL.

So...to my way of thinking (which is probably way wrong, just ask my wife) having personal blogs linked to FAOL enriches this site by giving our FAOL community access to additional info if they are interested. You're asking those that make personal blogs available to PAY for that which benefits all of us for free. Although I'm all for providing some way to ensure the continuance of FAOL, I'm not sure this is the solution.

It almost feels like charging folks who wish to submit an article or FOTW...cuz isn't having an article posted here sort of like "free advertising" for the author?
    Last edited by FishnDave; 02-10-2010 at 09:17 PM.
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

I may be the only person on here that has NO IDEA what a signature link is.
    Help anyone??
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

I don't do the blog thingy or have a site, but I would gladly subscribe to this site to be a member. As I posted in the other thread, if we, as members, all just approached one local shop with the info about sponsership for here, it probably would help trememdously. That said, I would vote for a small member ship yearly fee, $20 or so, and be extremely happy to pay just to keep this place.

I have had several people that I have introduced to this sight that they are amazed at the info available even to those who are not members.

Betty, the blue thingy in your signature the lets people go to a web site of your chosing.
    FishinDave has Central Iowa Anglers.
    Last edited by Byron Zuehlsdorff; 02-10-2010 at 09:33 PM.
    Wyo-Blizzard

Oh, wait a minute!! It's like the Project Healing waters, or the Iowa anglers that show up in the sigs to take you to those sites?? But not a referral, like to point out where someone finds tying materials that aren't promoted by our members? Like "oh, I found that at Cabelas.com/blah.blah.blah". Am I trying to say privately owned by member site? Brain drain today ... sorry!

Ya ... I think that'd be a great idea! A mini sponsorship.

Plus, I can always order up more hats!! That brought in some pretty good monies for the site!

Byron ... thank you! You were modifying your post while I was posting mine! Man, we're good!!!!
    Last edited by Betty Hiner; 02-10-2010 at 09:42 PM.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Hey, try this one, too.

Theoretically, if we were to put the FAOL.com in our signatures, we could each do a mini sponsorship? Where we would do what we could? And not worry about anyone else who can't?

So, what is wrong with using "Friends of FAOL"? Your first year is $25 and each year after that is $10. Just wondering and nothing more.....
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by FishnDave View Post
    I started a blog in 2009. Maybe I'm doing it all wrong...but I don't make any money from it, and wouldn't really know HOW to. It wasn't the reason I started the blog. More, it is just another repository/record of what I love to do (fishing), and it gives me a way to share it with others that might be interested. I think most of what I post on my blog, I usually end up posting in the FAOL forums anyway. Most of the people that publicly "follow" my blog don't visit FAOL.

So...to my way of thinking (which is probably way wrong, just ask my wife) having personal blogs linked to FAOL enriches this site by giving our FAOL community access to additional info if they are interested. You're asking those that make personal blogs available to PAY for that which benefits all of us for free. Although I'm all for providing some way to ensure the continuance of FAOL, I'm not sure this is the solution.

It almost feels like charging folks who wish to submit an article or FOTW...cuz isn't having an article posted here sort of like "free advertising" for the author?
    FishnDave

Good point on the Blog, it is a personal Blog, no money gained, but and there is always a but, the Central Iowa Anglers web site if it is not a recognized sponsor here is profiting from it and you are linking to it, there by they are getting free and very good exposure for their site, they have sponsors on the site and those sponsors are profiting.. The only one who is not benefiting in a monetary way is FAOL and its owner(s) ..
    Not picking on any one person or Link this is just the example that first popped up..

I agree with you maybe personal "Blogs" could be exempt if they stay just that personal Blogs, E.G. "I did this today and did this then what do you think?" No money gained and no services provided for the person with the link.

If however you are selling something ie rods, flys, tying material, etc.. from and with your blog then I think you're taking advantage of the very good free advertising from the link.
    Last edited by flyfishfairwx; 02-10-2010 at 09:58 PM. Reason: had another thought!
    As in the Army, I have never had a bad day Fly fishing, some damn uncomfortable days but never a bad one!
    Everyone must believe in something and I believe in Fly Fishing and Fly Tying and believe I will
    Member of Project Healing Waters & Fly Fishing Canada, Project Healing Waters Canada

Closed Thread