+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cleaning Fly RODS !

Blog Entries

Default Cleaning Fly RODS !

I have noticed that my fly rods have a haze/dirt on the outside of the blank, this is from use. I was wondering how you all go about cleaning your fly rods, our season here does not end, it slows down, so I thought I would use this time to give the RODS a wipe down.

So the question is

How often do you do this

Do you use anything, wax, cleaner etc...

Is there any special stuff?
    As in the Army, I have never had a bad day Fly fishing, some damn uncomfortable days but never a bad one!
    Everyone must believe in something and I believe in Fly Fishing and Fly Tying and believe I will
    Member of Project Healing Waters & Fly Fishing Canada, Project Healing Waters Canada

Default Cleaning fly rods

Hello flyfishfairwx, i use Pledge furniture polish, spraying some on clean worn out t-shirt matl. (read very soft) and cleaning/wiping down sections. I'll do this a couple or so times a year for the lake rods and once or twice for the river rods. Sometimes more for the smallie rods.

Cheers,

MontanaMoose

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MontanaMoose View Post
    Hello flyfishfairwx, i use Pledge furniture polish, spraying some on clean worn out t-shirt matl. (read very soft) and cleaning/wiping down sections. I'll do this a couple or so times a year for the lake rods and once or twice for the river rods. Sometimes more for the smallie rods.

Cheers,

MontanaMoose
    Hi Montana Moose..

I like it , better then some of the other suggestions I have from BB in my location namely..

WD40 on the rod, then wiped off..

Rubbing alcohol, this maybe ok but not sure..
    As in the Army, I have never had a bad day Fly fishing, some damn uncomfortable days but never a bad one!
    Everyone must believe in something and I believe in Fly Fishing and Fly Tying and believe I will
    Member of Project Healing Waters & Fly Fishing Canada, Project Healing Waters Canada

Default WD 40, rubbing alcohol..

Not sure i'd put rubbing alcohol on a flyrod either but then no reason to since Pledge cleans so well. I should have mentioned that i preface the Pledge treatment with a piece of clean cotton t-shirt that is just wet with warm water and a tiny bit of dawn dishsoap...this helps if there is a lot of junk on the rod.

Then another clean piece of t-shirt with just warm water then dry, then the pledge. Sometimes just the Pledge is fine.

WD 40, well i don't know why that would hurt anything but i still don't see a reason for it, plus if left on i'd tend to think it would gather airborn particulates having used WD so much on machinery and such. It does repel water nicely though.

Cheers,

MontanaMoose

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MontanaMoose View Post
    Not sure i'd put rubbing alcohol on a flyrod either but then no reason to since Pledge cleans so well. I should have mentioned that i preface the Pledge treatment with a piece of clean cotton t-shirt that is just wet with warm water and a tiny bit of dawn dishsoap...this helps if there is a lot of junk on the rod.

Then another clean piece of t-shirt with just warm water then dry, then the pledge. Sometimes just the Pledge is fine.

WD 40, well i don't know why that would hurt anything but i still don't see a reason for it, plus if left on i'd tend to think it would gather airborn particulates having used WD so much on machinery and such. It does repel water nicely though.

Cheers,

MontanaMoose
    Great thanks for the extra info..

I never thought about the water repelling properties of the WD40

I also use Pledge. Mine are in saltwater all the time and it seems to help protect the rods and guides.
    You don't ever want a crisis to go to waste... - Rahm Emanuel

Who is John Galt?

I also use Pledge on my rods.

I use alcohol and water for cleaning the cork. On the blank I use Pledge, Armour All, or just warm water.

On the risk of getting laughed out of town I take my fly rod into the shower with me and wipe it down with a terry type cloth. For the cork I use one of those kitchen scrubbers that has plastic on one side and a sponge on the other. I have some rods that are 20 years old and they still have good looking cork.

Tim

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Panman View Post
    On the risk of getting laughed out of town I take my fly rod into the shower with me and wipe it down with a terry type cloth. For the cork I use one of those kitchen scrubbers that has plastic on one side and a sponge on the other. I have some rods that are 20 years old and they still have good looking cork.

Tim
    Well Tim if they laugh at you then they will laugh harder at me, I used to take my rifle, Army issued that is in the shower, to get the oil, carbin and CLP off it before I reapplied the CLP to protect it ..

So that does not sound strange to me at all...

+ Reply to Thread