+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cold Weather in Florida

Default Cold Weather in Florida

I was wondering how some of this cold weather may effect the fishing on the Florida Gulf Coast this year. I understand that mullet have died in some waters i.e. Mississippi Coast. Perhaps in Florida as well by now. Any opinions?

26 degrees here this morning ! Ice on the truck windshield ! The snook don't like the cold & usually there's reports if any sucuumed to the cold snap on the Florida Sportsman Outdoors Best Zero Forum, which should be updated later this afternoon when some might actually get out on the water in boats. Haven't heard anything about the mullet, but it was probably quite a bit colder up near Tampa as the last Gulf water temps off Sarasota were about 54 yesterday.
    Last edited by saltydancindave; 01-11-2010 at 12:53 PM. Reason: add a few words

I will hopefully return to the flats this weekend when the temp is back up near 80...not sure what to expect but bonefish seem like a long shot at best...I cant imagine them surviving this cold unless they booked across to Bahamas really quick...snook are surely dead meat and any survivors will be snatched quickly by illegals with snatch hooks...I though last yrs cold front was bad...it was way less severe than this but it still killed tons of fish

Blog Entries

This is the worst cold snap that I can remember since I saw it snow in 1977. That year, the winter seemed to last and last and last.

I've heard that the oscar and Mayan cichlids aren't faring too well down in south Florida. I've also heard of jack crevalle dying in the bays. Snook surely cannot be doing too good.

But I guess it's all in Mother Nature's plan.

Hopefully, I can get back out on the water soon. I've got two chartes scheduled this week and would like to get them in.
    Steve

I was afraid of hearing this. I'm just getting started more or less in saltwater and I have a little place near Milton. It's not good in any kind of water when there is so many fish belly up. Does anyone remember what the fishing was like following the last time this happened?

I talked to my wife last night and she told me about a friend of ours who heard a boat headed out to the Blackwater Bay from one of the marinas- said it sounded like an ice cutter from breaking the ice.

Fort Myers TV news reports have shown fish kills around Pine Island & Cape Coral with other reports from the Keys with big fish kills. They are expecting possibly the worst for the snook since the early 80's when over a million died from the cold waters. Gulf has been between 47 & 51 the past weekend & the backcountry waters where alot of the fish go to ecape the chill have been getting colder with the tidal flow. Ice on the truck windows this morn & probably again tomorrow before the warm up.

was at the Miami Fly Shop yesterday talking with the guide from Mosquito Lagoon area and he said not good, not good at all...he seen 150lb goliath floating as well as many gator trout over 10lbs...I have missed 4 fishing trips so far and counting...just like a layoff...glad we have a fireplace in this old house...

Ask Al Gore...........
    Good fishing technique trumps all.....wish I had it.

10. Default

I wonder how much this cold is going to affect other wildlife in Florida and the South East in general. In particular, invasive species from the far south that have become common due to the release of exotic pets. I.E. Tropical Snakes...

+ Reply to Thread