+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: organizing?

Default organizing?

Someone asked about organizing a couple of days ago and it got me to thinking. Especially now that Santa left me a computer desk to use for my fly tying desk. How do you store and organize your materials? I'm not tying for resale or anything like that, if you could see my flies you'd know why. I'm thinking zip loc bags hanging on a peg board may be the best for me, but what do you use?

thanks in advance,
    hNt

PS I don't have much room, so that is a big issue.
    "If we lie to the government, it's called a felony, when they lie to us, it's called politics." Bill Murray

VEE and I have two 8 drawer units (from Fred Meyer) under each tying desk (total 32 drawers) plus a wall of drawers 5 feet high an 12 feet long. We also have some full pheasant skins, a full jungle cock skin and some full chicken skins in a large tote under the bed in the bedroom.

Oh yeah, forgot about the skins (mammal and bird) that are in the chest freezer in the garage.

Before you ask, no, we don't tie commercially either.

REE
    Happiness is wading boots that never have a chance to dry out.

Blog Entries

That kind of puts my smallish cardboard warehouse bins to shame.
    Kevin

Be careful how you live. You may be the only Bible some person ever reads.

I use to keep my stuff in drawers. zip locks and hung stuff on a peg board but I got bugs and they will eat through Ziplocks. One other thing some colors will detiate in sun light. Anyway now I keep my stuff in six Sterilite 41L plastic tubs with lock down lids and two file cases for my dubbing and smaller items. I can put moth balls or whole cloves in the boxes with the worry of more bugs.

Normand Guest

rubbermaid or similar brand plastic shoe boxes
    Attached Images Attached Images

I use plastic storage boxes.

Lowes and Home Depot have the plastic shoe boxes for .99 a piece for the after christmas sale.

Jason,

Take a look at the link at the bottom that I think will give you some ideas on how to get more organized. Make sure to look their whole site over at the many different items they have, especially their "Deluxe Bead Carousel 60 Cup Organizer". I have it and love it. I have my many different dubbings, hooks and beads stored in it. I just remove dubbing, hooks and beads from their packaging and put them into the furnished cups and label the cups as to the contents so that I can replenish the supply when needed. This carousel sets on my fly tying table and all I have to do is turn it around to find what hooks, dubbing, beads I need and remove the cups. When I am finished with a particular pattern, I return the cups to the carousel and remove what I need for the next pattern. This carousel is about 10" in diameter and takes up very little space on the tying table but holds a lot of dubbing, hooks and beads.

Make sure to check out their site for the new upcoming items they have. They will be selling fly boxes and their prices are fair.

http://www.tidycrafts.com/cart/
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

Wink HungNTree

Go to the fly tying section of FAOL and hit the "GETTING ORGAINIZED" Sub Menu, you may get an idea or two there

Blog Entries

These are what I use for my materials.. all labeled, ziploc bags or original bags, containers..
    As in the Army, I have never had a bad day Fly fishing, some damn uncomfortable days but never a bad one!
    Everyone must believe in something and I believe in Fly Fishing and Fly Tying and believe I will
    Member of Project Healing Waters & Fly Fishing Canada, Project Healing Waters Canada

Flyfishfairwx - You have my dream fly fishing room Very nice!
    Alive without breath,
    As cold as death;
    Never thirsty, ever drinking,
    All in mail never clinking.
    - Riddle

+ Reply to Thread