+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Waders & Boots

Default Waders & Boots

Hi All;

How do you go about choosing your first pair of waders & Boots?

I think I want to purchase breathable waders and more than likely non felt boots but how do you pick one brand or model from another?

Thanks in advance;

Wayneb

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wayneb View Post
    Hi All;

I think I want to purchase breathable waders and more than likely non felt boots but how do you pick one brand or model from another?

Thanks in advance;

Wayneb
    Best you can afford , may not be the best out there but best you can afford.

I went Korkers Guide boots, and Orvis Waders.. the waders were end of line, the boots cause they fit well and are not hard to get on or off, and soles are inter changeable
    As in the Army, I have never had a bad day Fly fishing, some damn uncomfortable days but never a bad one!
    Everyone must believe in something and I believe in Fly Fishing and Fly Tying and believe I will
    Member of Project Healing Waters & Fly Fishing Canada, Project Healing Waters Canada

I think you get what you pay for in breathable waders -- although there are a lot of pretty good "relatively" inexpensive type. AS mentioned above, get the best you can afford.

I think you want to try them on and for me, see how easy it is to get them back off your feet. I have a good pair of waders but they can be a real bitch to get over my heals at the end of the day after the feet have been sweating, etc.

See if they have thicker layers in the lower part of the legs , knnes and/or front of the legs and maybe seat. If you hike through bushes, stickers, etc. the more expensive brands will have these areas built up with multiple layers so they don't develop a leak.

I like water proof zippers and pockets. For now, I am leary of water proof fly zippers so I am avoiding them for now at least.

Look at the warranty. If they leak or you get a leak they should back them up by replacing them for you. I have had good luck with Cloud Veil and Simms in this regard- but these are the only two types I have had in the breathable types.

Make sure they are comfortable on your feet. Booties should not be too tight.

As for boots, I know felt is on the way out (I think) but I'm not sure there is really any substitute for it on the slick western river bottoms -- so I prefer felt with studs if I am wading or just plain felt if I am in and out of a drift boat.

Ive got a pair of Redingtons ( I think they are..??) and with a pair of PolarFleece pants on underneath work very well in 43 degree water for 1/2 day at a time.

Ive got a pair of boot foot hip waders on order right now though....Its going to be WARM when the wife and I go west next year.

The real thing I HATE...HATE about "stocking foot" waders ( hip boots..whatever)... is who is the "Yeti" they gauged shoe size on? I wear 9-10 shoes..depending on the brand...etc. These were bought with that in mind... There must be TWICE enough rubber material on them. Its all I can do to get it STUFFED down into my wading boots.

My next set of waders will be BOOT FOOT...that way they fit..right off the bat..or they go right back.
    Last edited by Sully; 12-03-2009 at 07:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by wayneb View Post
    Hi All;

Thanks in advance;

Wayneb
    Wayne

What a great guestion. Especially since there are allot of different brands of waders and boots to choose from. I think the first question you need to ask is how much do you have or are you willing to spend? Second do you want gore-tex or other breathable type waders. Gore-tex will cost you more. Today I don't think you can buy a bad pair of waders or boots. Unless of course you buy cheap or low end. They may function but won't last as long. Again, providing you stay with a pair from one of the major players such as SIMMS, Orvis, Dan Bailey, Cloudveil, LL Bean, Cabelas, Hodgman or perhaps Redington they all make a quality product. Of course depending who you talk to opinions will vary. I would look at what kind of warranty you get.

My first pair of breathables were Cabelas and they served me well. When they wore out I replaced them with a pair of Simms and there is no comparison between the two. The SIMMS cost more but I could tell the momemt I put them on I was wearing a better fitting pair of waders. And I like the fact that Simms are made in the USA. I also own a pair of Dan Bailey's breathable stocking foot hippers and really like them as well. My buddy has their waders and has nothing but good things to say about them.

My felt soled boots are Cabelas and I own a pair of LL Bean with aqua stealth soles. The Beans are one size big and are used for winter fishing to accomodate heavy socks. Both have allot of wear left so I don't see myself replacing them anytime soon. If I make a trip out west and need a pair of non-felt boots, I would look at how much do I have to spend and see what is available.

If you live near a fly shop I would go and talk to them and see what brands they are carrying and ask them why and what are the differences. Of course if you go to an Orvis shop that is probably all they may carry but that's not a bad thing either.

I'm not sure if I've helped or answered your question.
    " If a man is truly blessed, he returns home from fishing to the best catch of his life." Christopher Armour

Don't know what type of foot you have, but I've got a very wide one (10 EEEE) and I found some models within the same brand fit better than others. I currently have Simms Freestone's and have found them to be the most comfortable I've ever worn. Doesn't hurt that they were pretty inexpensive, too ($65). If/when I have to give up my felt soles, I'll probably stick with them. You definitely want to size up when purchasing boots - I went 2 up to a 12 and they fit great with my waders. If I wet-wade, I just wear a couple pairs of athletic socks to compensate.
    You probably will want to try waders on before you buy, too. I had a pair of Cabelas breathable in Medium that were loose but comfortable; when I switched to Simms, their Medium was way to tight and I had to go a size up.

Regards,
    Scott

Wayne;
    Whatever you buy, size is very important. The waders should be loose enough to let you raise your feet high enough to reach the seat of a standard kitchen chair (one foot at a time of course ). You should buy the boots one size larger than your normal size (gives you a little more space for the excess bootie material as well as heavy socks in cold weather).

I started with a pair of Cabela's Dry Plus II chest waders when they were $69. About 8-9 years ago. They still work great but only use them maybe 4-5 time a year. My first wading shoes were felt soles from Walmart. They cost $35 8-9 years ago. Both are still going strong. So, for me, starting as inexpensive (cheap) as I could, it worked out great for me. Now I'm going to get a pair of 5 mil neoprene waders from Cabela's for $65. I plan on using them for spring time float tubing. Long story short; I don't think you have to mortgage your home to buy good usable waders. If they don't cost too much and don't work as well as you would like, you're not out too much and you have a place to start from when shopping for replacements.
    Last edited by Lotech; 12-05-2009 at 11:48 AM. Reason: spelling
    Where you go is less important than how you take the steps.
    Fish with a Friend,
    Lotech Joe

I bought a pair of Bass pro white river breathables for 100$. They fit good, breath good, but don't buy their brand of boots. They're horrid.

I agreed with Jack on this. Go to a local store and try them on. If you have a "normal" body shape for your height and weight buying from the chart in a catalog may work but it surely doesn't for me. If you have wide feet you may want to look at Simms boots. When I was looking they had the widest boots.
    I can think of few acts more selfish than refusing a vaccination.

+ Reply to Thread