Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tiger Woods

Quote Originally Posted by Buddy Sanders View Post
    The 'worst case' scenario: (what everyone is skirting around trying not to 'say')

Tiger had an affair.

Told his wife, Elin, about it.

They had words. She picked up a golf club and had at him with it.

He ran out to his Escalade and gunned it down the driveway, lost control and hit a fire hydrant and then his neighbor's tree.

And, horror of horrors, he may have had a drink or ten BEFORE doing this.

THIS is what all the 'speculation' is about...this is what all the tabloids and the internet gossip sites really want to 'discover'.

but I still maintain:

So what.

Only 'injury' was to Tiger, and I'll bet his embarassment outshines any physical injury.

The property damage done was to PRIVATE property...he can certainly afford to pay for that, and I'm sure he will.

The neighbor called 911. What would you do if a car hit a tree in your yard in the middle of the night? Completely understandable.

Tiger isn't talking to the cops. He has a RIGHT not to do so. Excercising those rights in this country can not be a legal reason to suspect or even to 'dig deeper' as one court case put it. He did provide ALL the information he was required to by law.

The government can't automatically 'test' for drugs/alcohol just because someone was in an accident. In some states, and I don't about Florida, the laws are a bit different when the incident occurs on private property. Florida tends to be pretty 'personal freedom' conscious in their laws, though.

Medical records are protected. They belong to the patient, not the doctor and certainly not the state.

If the authorities in Florida have probable cause, they can get a warrant and acquire the medical records. They can also, with probable cause, get a search warrant for the Woods' home to try to find any evidence of whatever it is they feel they need to investigate.

Reality says:

If Tiger really did have an 'affair', it's between him and his wife. Just because we are curious doesn't mean there is any right for us to 'know'. People have affairs all the time. It's none of our business.

If he and his wife had words about it, does that surprise anyone? Couples have disagreements about lots of things. It's none of our business.

Did she actually hit him, maybe even with a golf club? That is a 'crime', certainly. The reality is, though, even if she did, unless Tiger wants to press charges against her, such cases don't get prosecuted. Apparently, it either didn't happen, or Tiger isn't pressing charges, so it's none of our business.

Did Tiger 'drink and drive'. Apparently there was nothing at the scene that made the responding emergency personel suspect it. Usually such things are dealt with at the time, not the next day. All the initial reports from the authorities stated that they were investigating this as a 'traffic accident'.

Since there is no reason to suspect that the officers on the scene neglected thier duty, it would appear that this was just that, a single vehicle traffic accident with some minor injuries. 'Why' it happened is none of our business.

Tiger 'cancelled' his appearence at 'his' charity tournament this weekend. He cites his 'injuries'. Even 'minor injuries' can keep you from traveling comfortably, and certainly can effect an athletes performance. Figure in tha this is a charity event and that the 'focus' of the event would turn to Tigers accident rather than the charity, and it's perfectly understandable that he would cancel.

Will this 'go away'? Eventually.

In the meantime, who really cares?

Buddy
    Right on, right on!!

Honestly,

While I couldn't care less, I think the the questions are fair to ask. Tiger lost his right to privacy when he agreed to do advertising. Tiger presents himself as a paragon of virtue and sells that perception in the public marketplace every day, whether it be for Accenture, Rolex, Gillette or Buick. Tiger the walking commercial makes much more than Tiger the golfer.

Shouldn't the buying public know if what is being offered is true?

I don't think endorsements garner that speculation.

I do think the state of mind when getting behind the wheel of an automobile and endangering others does, however.

Then add curious circumstances to it(not talking to the Police and conflicting stories......minor accident and too injured to play) and you've got 'problems'.
    Last edited by Big Bad Wulff; 12-01-2009 at 04:14 PM.
    Good fishing technique trumps all.....wish I had it.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Bad Wulff View Post
    I don't think endorsements garner that speculation.

I do think the state of mind when getting behind the wheel of an automobile and endangering others does, however.
    I honestly doubt that Tiger will prove to be a danger to himself or to others at any time in the future. The cops have ruled out alcohol.

I see his public persona vs. what he may really be like as no different from a family values Republican Senator tap dancing in a Minneapolis Airport or a soak-the-rich Democrat congressman taking money. All three are selling themselves.

Present yourself as a paragon of virtue, the public has the right to ask if its true when the s hits the fan. (See Elliot Spitzer).

My $0.02.

By 'state of mind' I didn't necessarily mean 'alcohol'. I meant.............. being mad.

Been there, done that myself. It's not a good thing to do.
    Good fishing technique trumps all.....wish I had it.

Talking

What's the difference between a golf ball and a car?
    Tiger can drive a golf ball more than 100 yards.
    All the best.
    Mike.

He was taken to the hospital, and blood was drawn, hence why the police have consistently said alcohol wasn't involved.

In reality... it was his business. And why would your kids be outside at 2:30am??

The only thing that has to be in the police report is how the accident happened. Not what led up to it before he got into his vehicle.

People have car accidents. It's a fact of life. The reason why they have all those safety features! Get over it.

Paul
    Life is expensive... but it does include a free trip around the sun.
    Mottled Fly Fisher - My Fishing Blog

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Eric-WD View Post
    I agree, he plays golf, doesnt mean he is a great driver.

VERY nice pun!

Ed

Quote Originally Posted by DG View Post
    Yes, let us rampantly speculate on what happened. After all, he is a celebrity, and should have no privacy, nor should he be allowed to "get away with" anything. The minor details of his life are so important to me that I stayed up all night googling just to see if I could learn anything else. Facts abound! E news is, after all, a pulitzer-prize winning investigative reporting show! It's all absolutely true!! We should be able to convict people based on rumor and innuendo, this being the United States and all.

PS. This is sarcasm for those who haven't already figured it out. The guy had a car accident. So what?
    Yep! His business is not mine & vice versa.
    All I care is he's a great golfer & fun to watch "on course". He can keep his privacy...everyone deserves that.
    Mike
    FAOL..All about caring, sharing, & good friends!!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by EdD View Post
    VERY nice pun!

Ed
    Thanks, I make my best puns when I am sleep deprived after coming home from a 12 hour graveyard shift.

Eric
    "Complexity is easy; Simplicity is difficult."
    Georgy Shragin
    Designer of ppsh41 sub machine gun

Closed Thread