+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Whats in Your Pack ?

Default Whats in Your Pack ?

Just curious to what some of yoll carry when on an extended fishin trip... Myself, other than fly fishing equipment, I take a good knife, firesteel, paracord, a medium diamond stone and some 500mph tape which is a form of duct tape but much better used as a quick repair for bullet holes in aircraft... With those 5 things I can deal with just about anything that comes my way... Lots of times I like to go places where most folks wouldnt go...
    Last edited by bugman; 11-22-2009 at 12:37 AM.
    A.S.F 5th GP ...TO FIGHT SO OTHERS MAY REMAIN FREE...

Default What's in Your Pack?

Many years ago, my mentor told me that I should only carry that which me happy, and leave anything that does not by the side of the trail.

Well to tell you the truth, I am still carrying too much, but I am continuing to lighten the load!

Every day, I am continuing to discard those things, that have no purpose, except to load me down from enjoying life.

So I am constantly emptying my pack, and repacking only those things that give me happiness.

"Everyone you meet in life, some by their arrival, others by their departure!"

Same applies to stuff, Do I really need this, does it help me, or weigh me down, from enjoying life!

My mentor, was Al Campbell

~Parnelli

Modoc Country.... Extreme N.E. California high desert
    Blog Entries

Fishing Rod... Fly boxes, 2, small......2 rolls tippet.... a couple spare tapered leaders......nippers... fishing pliers...floatant...sinket....a sharp knife....small coil strong cord...small plastic bag...... all in a very small over the shoulder bag. That'll do me for about a week. I keep some duct tape, baling wire, and a couple tools in the truck along with a spare rod, and more flies and leaders............ModocDan

I stopped using my vest a few years ago, trying to lighten the load. Just kept taking stuff out of the bag till I got it down pretty light... so far I haven't wished I had some of that stuff I used to carry for years and never use.....

When I have munchkins along, like grandkids and such, I break out the vest and usually spend most of my time helping the young'uns......and havin' the time of my life......

Quote Originally Posted by bugman View Post
    Just curious to what some of yoll carry when on an extended fishin trip... Myself, other than fly fishing equipment, I take a good knife, firesteel, paracord, a medium diamond stone and some 500mph tape which is a form of duct tape but much better used as a quick repair for bullet holes in aircraft... With those 5 things I can deal with just about anything that comes my way... Lots of times I like to go places where most folks wouldnt go...
    All that & a leatherman & a dozen or so electrical tie raps & a bubble pack or 2 of 5 min epoxy.

Too much crap.........
    But I ALWAYS carry a lighter just in case.

Post script:
    It came in handy this past weekend. Low 30's and cold hands and a nice, warm:

Last edited by Big Bad Wulff; 12-18-2009 at 01:33 PM.
    Good fishing technique trumps all.....wish I had it.

Blog Entries

All the usual stuff, my survival gear etc.. my SPOT and now that I have gotten a little older, I carry a Cuban cigar,and a mickey of good whiskey.

My philosophy on this is that if I am going to die on a stream, I am going to do three of the four things that make fly fishers happiest, fly fish, good whiskey and a cigar.

The forth is not normally done on a stream...

I still stand by the rule smoking is very bad for all and that it kills..
    Last edited by flyfishfairwx; 12-02-2009 at 04:44 AM.
    As in the Army, I have never had a bad day Fly fishing, some damn uncomfortable days but never a bad one!
    Everyone must believe in something and I believe in Fly Fishing and Fly Tying and believe I will
    Member of Project Healing Waters & Fly Fishing Canada, Project Healing Waters Canada

What is it about fly fishers that makes them like fly fishing, scotch and/or whiskey and cigars?
    Good fishing technique trumps all.....wish I had it.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Big Bad Wulff View Post
    What is it about fly fishers that makes them like fly fishing, scotch and/or whiskey and cigars?
    That is one of the mysteries of the universe that I will not question!

I will only bask in its greatness, and be thankful that it is not fly fishing, prune juice and broccoli..
    As in the Army, I have never had a bad day Fly fishing, some damn uncomfortable days but never a bad one!
    Everyone must believe in something and I believe in Fly Fishing and Fly Tying and believe I will
    Member of Project Healing Waters & Fly Fishing Canada, Project Healing Waters Canada

Leatherman tool.....750ml of "Makers Mark"..a bag of peanuts...and 1 match.....

Blog Entries

Thought I would post a pic of my new additions to the pac..

Fischer is not too sure about the cigar.. I keep telling him but it's a Cuban..

+ Reply to Thread