+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Deceiver

Default Deceiver

Here is my fist attempt of tying a deceiver fly. It was tied on a 1/0 split shot hook and it is 4" long. I tried to make it look like a rainbow trout...I think.
    I was finally able to tie the bucktail without it flaring like many times before. I know it needs improvement but I had fun tying it. Maybe the head should've been olive or maybe it is too long for the hook.
    Please criticize it.
    Thanks

Last edited by Martin McFly; 10-16-2009 at 04:43 AM.
    I believe I can fly fish

That's a good looking bucktail but I wouldn't call it a deceiver. Check this out for tying instructions for a deceiver:
    http://www.flyanglersonline.com/flyt...w/9297fotw.php
    I can think of few acts more selfish than refusing a vaccination.

I do not feel I am qualified to respond on this fly you have tied, but, I like it and feel that the only thing I would add, if I had tied it, would be that I would have tied 4 or 5 peacock herls on top over the olive. I like it and feel it will produce fish for you. Now all you need to do is see if the fish like it, so, go get it wet. It looks good to me....
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

As stated above, it's not a Deceiver, but it's a good looking fly.

What is the head-foam?

Dave

Hint on avoiding bucktail flair issues: The hair at the base of most bucktails you buy commercially is actually body hair from the rump of the deer (the do that to make the tail look bigger) and is therefore hollow and tends to flair. The closer to the tip of the tail you can take your hairs and still get the length you need, the less flair you will get.

Nice looking fly, should fool a few nice bass and maybe a striper or two
    If it swims and eats, it'll eat a fly.

Quote Originally Posted by rainbowchaser View Post
    That's a good looking bucktail but I wouldn't call it a deceiver.
    What attributes does a fly need to be a deceiver?

Still learning,
    Glenn

The link I provided gives instructions from an early FAOL fly of the week on tying a Lefty's deceiver. This fly lacks the tail of hackles tied in at the bend.
    I can think of few acts more selfish than refusing a vaccination.

Quote Originally Posted by rainbowchaser View Post
    The link I provided gives instructions...
    I saw the instructions. I'm still a bit confused though.

They state, ""The fly can be tied in many ways. The Lefty's Deceiver is not really a strict pattern but a method of tying. It can have various shapes, lengths, and colors. ... -Lefty Kreh"

Since Martin's fly was missing the tail of hackles, would it be safe to say that a deceiver is a fly with, hackles tied toward bend of hook, a head w/ eyes, a bucktail (or similar) collar and accent flash?

Thanks for helping,
    Glenn

Interesting, you learn something new every day. I'm not sure where I saw a bucktail deceiver recipe or something like that but I didn't print it, when I got home and tried to look for it I wasn't able to find it. Ok, so if it's not a deceiver what would you fine gentlemen call it? The head is just thread coated with 5min epoxy. Funny thing you say that Warren, I do have more peacock than I can actually handle, an ex coworker had a little ranch with lots of them and she gave them to my by the bunch. I'll tie another one tonight and will try adding some strands.
    I'm not a big fan of bucktail so that was just an attempt but I will use it soon. I do want to buy streamer hair which I like better.
    Thanks a lot, I appreciate the comments
    Last edited by Martin McFly; 10-16-2009 at 06:25 PM.
    I believe I can fly fish

As for the fly, it's just a bucktail streamer in my opinion, thats about as much of a name as I've ever heard for that style fly, and it looks good, it will catch some fish I'm sure. The only thing I can see to work on is making the head a little smaller/shorter next time. If you're in the mood to add things like peacock herl over the top, you could also play with adding a hint of red right behind the head for gills. A lot ofndeceivers have a throat of red crystal flash to do this but any red material that doesn't affect the action of the fly will do.

My understanding of a deceiver is a tail of hackle tied in at the bend and a collar of bucktail tied in behind the eye. Flash and eyes are not required to make it a deceiver although the vidoes I've seen of Lefty tying it always include the flash. Changing the collar material changes it to a (collar material) deceiver such as a marabou deceiver or a craft fur deceiver.

And as was said about the flaring, the better the quality of your bucktail and the closer you get to the tip of the tail, the easier it is to manage.

+ Reply to Thread