+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Preventing bugs in your materials

Blog Entries

i am sorry that I caused all this I do understand though and will be vigelant in keeping my materials pure.

Blog Entries

Charlaine, you didn't cause anything, as I said, bugs are one of those things we all hate. When the subject comes up of picked up bird feathers we tend to go off on tangents.

Like I said in my first post nice fly, it will catch fish, nice use of what you had to tie with.

Eric
    "Complexity is easy; Simplicity is difficult."
    Georgy Shragin
    Designer of ppsh41 sub machine gun

first, nice fly, good luck with it!
    and now i dont mean to continue this further, but i didnt see a new thread about it, but my girlfriends family actually has peacocks and a few other birds and ive been planning on using feathers from them as they fall out, etc. I have read past articles on bugs, but after seeing these posts i will definitely take extra special care to keep them separated and cleaned, but i cant turn down free, useful materials right?

Nice Brassie!
    And made even better by your gathering of materials.

I store my meager supplies in an old gun display case I inherited from my Dad. It has a glass door and sides in wood.
    I asked Denny about preservation of my Conranch Hackles I had bought from him and he directed me to an Al Campbell article here.
    No pest strips. Available at most supermarkets. I bought 2. One is open and hanging in my storage/display case (I find the hackles beautiful to look at as well as to use), and a spare in it's foil package for the future.
    The no pest strip fumigates the materials so no bugs can even begin.

Search Al Campbell from the main page.
    Pick item 3 of page one of the results. (Al Campbell articles)
    Find "Don't Bug Me!" in the first quarter of 2004.
    (Ron, we really need a way to url these fine archived articles)

sysadmin note : http://www.flyanglersonline.com/alcampbell/ac020204.php See my later post about this
    --Ron--

Anything that goes into my case is in a no pest area and soon can't have any "bugs" on it.
    Some like "moth balls". (I've seen lots of moths, but still can't tell male from female)
    Me, I'm a bit more pro-active, so I like setting up a death zone for bugs.
    YMMV
    Last edited by rtidd; 09-27-2009 at 04:29 PM.
    Sonny Edmonds

"If I don't teach them, how will those Grand Kids learn to fish?"
    Lesson 1: What catches fish Vs: What catches fisherman's money.

Blog Entries

Default website URL's

On the top of my list actually.
    The problem is that the site was started over a decade ago, and it used what was thought to be best practices for the time.

Basically the site uses frames, to keep the menu always visible.
    Its purpose was to keep the menu visible as you scroll and save a little bandwidth by not reloading the menu every page.

Well, we aren't dealing with 9600 baud modems (PAINFULLY SLOW) anymore, and I HATE frames, IFrames have a use still but frames of any sort are definitely for special cases.

This all gets fixed when the redesign goes live. And no - I don't have a firm date for that, without burning a vacation, my time is limited at the moment.

What you CAN do for the interim though is to find the page on FAOL you are looking for, then RIGHT CLICK on the frame with the content in it.
    Most browsers will have an option of Open Frame in a new Tab.

Use that and your URL will be visible. (As opposed to just the main FAOL page in the URL field.)

Hope that helps.
    --Ron--

Thumbs up Thanks Ron!

Thanks Ron!
    HUGE job maintaining a site, especially one like FAOL with it's constant flux.
    I try to keep my stuff streamlined when ever I can.
    As a former webmaster of my own sites, i know it can really get to be a pain.
    Thanks again!
    Sonny Edmonds

"If I don't teach them, how will those Grand Kids learn to fish?"
    Lesson 1: What catches fish Vs: What catches fisherman's money.

Sekliw Be sure to get the secondary wing feathers from those peacocks when they molt as well as the tail feathers. I kept a lot of feathers and gave away a lot when my dad was alive and raising birds as his hobby with no bug problems. Just washing with hot water if necessary to remove dirt works pretty good since the things that eat feathers don't usually attack live birds. I kept new feathers in a box in the garage for a while to make sure and then brought them into the house.
    I can think of few acts more selfish than refusing a vaccination.

Bass_Bug Guest

Default Thanks!

Thanks Ron for jumping on the request to separate the thread.

+ Reply to Thread