+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fiberglass rod swap interest?

Blog Entries

Default Fiberglass rod swap interest?

Anyone interested in a fiberglass rod swap similar to the tadpole swap we did earlier this year? I have a different blank in mind this time. It is something a bit longer, and will cast 5/6/7 weight line. There will be no need to add ferrules, since the blank comes as a 2 piece. You will be able to purchase all of the components for less than $50 (shipped to you), but that number doesn't include thread, finish or glue. The blank is here: http://www.jannsnetcraft.com/fibergl...710400009.aspx

I don't know yet if it makes sense to order as a group, since any discount will likely balanced by the second round of shipping, but I will check all the options to see if we can reduce costs. However, if everone orders their own components individually, you will come in under $50.
    I'm not asking for signups right now. I'm looking at how many would be seriously interested, and then I can go through the scenarios. I think this would be a good project to do over the winter months, with rods due in January or February.

Right now, I think that having an order list put together so that everyone has the exact same components is the way to go. We can give each builder the choice between chrome or black hardware, and then let each builder come up with their own thread/wrapping/construction. And, as always, I'm open to hearing suggestions and thoughts on the matter. Brad (Kaboom1), I'd especially like to hear any input you may have, since the tadpole swap you put together went off so well from my perspective.
    Last edited by ol' blue; 09-09-2009 at 01:28 PM.
    Better to be an active environmentalist than and environmental activist.

FFMIRSWTNBOF
    (Full Fledged Member in Raunchy Standing-Within The NBOF)

Blue

I will be in for this one...I'll send you a PM.

Brad

I'm in. Can I pick up my parts from Jann's since I go right past there about every other week?
    The only things we permanently keep, are those we give away-Waite Philips

Modoc Country.... Extreme N.E. California high desert
    Blog Entries

Hiya Blue... Count me in by all means, I enjoyed the last swap.....I'll PM ya.
    ModocDan

Geez, y'all are tempting me... especially since I don't have a fiberglass rod and have been thinking about getting one... but, I've not made a rod of any sort. Maybe if you get a group buy/discount I could participate in that and simply make a rod rather than do the swap part?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cheffy View Post
    I'm in. Can I pick up my parts from Jann's since I go right past there about every other week?
    I'm sure that will be fine. We can work details out when we officially start the swap.

Quote Originally Posted by John R View Post
    Geez, y'all are tempting me... especially since I don't have a fiberglass rod and have been thinking about getting one... but, I've not made a rod of any sort. Maybe if you get a group buy/discount I could participate in that and simply make a rod rather than do the swap part?
    That will be fine. Many of us will get a couple of them, and swap one and keep one.

My blank is supposed to be in today. I'll give you an preliminary wiggle review later tonight.
    Better to be an active environmentalist than and environmental activist.

FFMIRSWTNBOF
    (Full Fledged Member in Raunchy Standing-Within The NBOF)

Quote Originally Posted by ol' blue View Post
    That will be fine. Many of us will get a couple of them, and swap one and keep one.
    Cool! Thanks blue. Not having done one, I'd hate to make something that turned out looking like a piece of crap... and be on the receiving end of a work of art that I know some of you make!

Quote Originally Posted by John R View Post
    Cool! Thanks blue. Not having done one, I'd hate to make something that turned out looking like a piece of crap... and be on the receiving end of a work of art that I know some of you make!
    John

If it will catch fish, I don,t consider it a piece of crap...I think you should play with us. By the way, all were are doing is assembling fishing poles.

Just my 2 pennies...I'll respect your decision either way.

Brad

Come on in John. If you were ever thinking about building this would be a good place to start.
    Low cost and a lot of help from the board.

Blue... I would just ask that when we swap it's not with the same person we had last round.

I game for either components as a package deal or the "you are on your own version"
    The only things we permanently keep, are those we give away-Waite Philips

Default i've only....

Built one rod. It tuned out pretty good (by my very low standards) ...So, if you guys would be up for another rookie, i'd be interested.

Thanks
    Brannon
    http://cff1611.proboards.com
    Sow a thought....reap an act;
    Sow an act....reap a habit;
    Sow a habit...reap a character;
    Sow a character....reap a destiny!!!!!

+ Reply to Thread