+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rod for Great Lakes Steelhead

Blog Entries

I have owned two 9'6" 5wt rods, used for trout and steelhead fishing, and frankly I prefer a 9' rod over the longer one. The extra 6" of length does not, in my opinion, provide enough extra benefit to make up for the increased weight of the rod. The last 8 wt I owned was also 9'6" and I would have rather had a 9 footer with that as well. Remember that the extra length has to get put on the big end of the rod.

Just my 2 cents. Lots of folks fishing with both lengths and doing just fine.

I have a 9' 8wght that I have been using for years for erie steelhead. I thought about going with a 7 wght, but on occasion I will go to NY and fish for lake run browns and kings so I went with one line bigger. A 9' is perfect for all of the erie tribs. If you do decide to go with a 10' you won't be dissapointed. 10' are the limit on length IMO. Mayby run into you sometime up there. Will be up there oct 4-6.

Cold Guest

I can only assume that your local fly shop did not have any rods in the 10' range.
    Didn't have on hand, but he could get it for me within a few days, no problem.

Really, he isnt the type to push a sale, in fact, he's talked me out of a few purchases that weren't what I needed for the task. He's definitely interested in keeping a customer rather than a quick sale, which I appreciate.

Quote Originally Posted by alra195 View Post
    I have and use both 9 1/2' and 10', 7 weights on the Ohio and Pa tribs and have never had a problem with them being too long. The lengths not needed for the "extra" casting distance. It's all about line control, keeping line off the water to improve your drift, being able to mend and control the line and feel the take. Distance casting isn't what Lake Erie Tributary fishing is all about. Most folks (at least in my opinion) fish too far away and don't control the drift or can't feel the takes they're getting because they have too much slack line.

I highly recommend the 9 1/2' or 10' rods. Get a ten footer and don't look back!
    Ditto what Joe said.
    I spent my high school and early twenties winter Steelheading on Erie and Ontario tribs and a ten ft rod was only an advantage. I prefer a 6wt but that's just me.

I have a 9' 7wt and an 11' 7/8wt both work well on Erie tribs and Ontario tribs but the 11' is my first choice 99% of the time. I fish a couple VERY small Ontario tribs and the shorter rod is better suited for them. I would say that if you plan fishing mostly tribs like the Catt. then you won't be sorry going longer rather than shorter.
    Hey... why not get both...You can never have too many fly rods.

+ Reply to Thread