+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wader Repair Help

Default Wader Repair Help

I have a three year old pair of Orvis breathable waders that have developed a few pin hole leaks after a fall. I was going to attempt to repair them with Aquaseal but thought I would check here for some advise before I try. Has anyone had success repairing their waders and if so how did they repair them? Is it worth the effort or am I just wasting my time and should spend the money on a new pair? Any suggestions would be appriciated.

Thanks
    Bill

It's worth it from what you describe....I use Marine Goop but probably the consensuse is Aquaseal.

Blog Entries

Pinholes are relatively easy, Find the exact spot, a tiny dab of sealant of some sort, and let it cure. Finding the spot can be the hardest part. And if you seal too big a spot, then you have made a non-breathable spot in your waders, which will give you a sweaty spot in hot weather, which may seem like the waders still leak...

Once the neoprene feet start to go, however, the waders are toast.

Blog Entries

to find that exact spot referred to above:

either
    turn the waders inside out and hang them from a very strong place like a deck railing or swing set--not the shower head. take a hose and fill them with water. observe closely in the region where you suspect a leak. mark where you see the water oozing out. a Sharpie pen works. dry and repair with aquaseal.

or
    turn the waders inside out and hang them somewhere you can get everything wet. thin some liquid soap with water and have it handy in a spray bottle. turn the hose around on the can vacuum so it blows, insert the hose into the leg of the waders, and hold the top closed with one hand. with the other, spray the liquid soap/water where you suspect a leak. mark where you see bubbles happening. rinse, dry, and repair the waders.

when you're done, buy some Revivex to renew the water repellent outside finish. spray the clean waders and finish with a hair dryer to heat-set the new finish--DO NOT put the waders in the tumble dryer or you'll cook the feet.

there! just like new...

took me a couple of tries, but it was worth it because ladies' waders that fit are hard to find
    fly fishing and baseball share a totally deceptive simplicity; that's why they can both be lifelong pursuits.

Normand Guest

why not do what is recommended by orvis??

http://www.orvis.com/intro.aspx?subject=744&bhcp=1

Turn waders inside out. Using a cloth or rag of some sort wipe the suspected area with enough rubbing alcohol to moisten wader fabric. I use my wife?s cotton facial cleaning pads. A dark spot will appear where ever there is a leak. Apply small amount of Aquaseal to dark spots and let dry. I didn?t read the Orvis link but suspect it says the same thing.
    "The reason you have a good vision is you're standing on the shoulders of giants." ~ Andy Batcho

The rubbing alcohol option gets a 'THIRD". It works.

Tried the alcohol thing many times with no luck whatsoever.
    Turn them inside out and fill with water. Lift and look for the leak. Circle it before you forget where it is. Seal. Done.

Besides water is a lot cheaper than alcohol.
    Last edited by Big Bad Wulff; 07-29-2009 at 01:16 PM.
    Good fishing technique trumps all.....wish I had it.

Thanks for all your suggestions. I tried the rubbing alcohol method and found four leaks. I sealed them with Aquaseal and let them dry overnight. Went fishing today and all was well again NO WET PANTS.

Thanks to all
    Bill

Blog Entries

Bill & Everybody, thanks. My last trip out I picked up a pinhole leak. I've got to perform a repair sometime, but maybe not before hitting the Elk this Sunday. Warren? Jack? Are y'all still up for it?

Ed

+ Reply to Thread