+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Good or Bad?

Blog Entries

Default Good or Bad?

I decided to include maps with all of my new posts on my blog.

Have had three guides complain that i am "Kissing and Telling" *TODAY*

Exactly what does that mean to an angler that has fished the

streams in the area for 47 years? Who am I kissing? I have

earned the information I put out. It is obvious from my photos

that I know how to find big trout and lots of trout.

What do you think about sharing information on a regional blog?

How many people actually read blogs?

I kiss and tell too. Mostly. I'm just mainly about sharing.
    Where you go is less important than how you take the steps.
    Fish with a Friend,
    Lotech Joe

Default The Sword Has Two Edges

I believe there's a document stored somewhere in D.C. that give you the right to pretty well post what you want, within limits. I alway appreciate someone telling me where there's a good opportunity to exercise a fish. That said I also appreciate knowing a few fishing holes that everyone doesn't know about.

There is a good sized private lake back in my hometown. The folks that owned it when I lived there let a few people fish there. They came, fished, behaved well and occasionally brought a long a friend. Sometimes the friends came back and brought their friends, who may not have behaved so well. Before long no one was allowed to fish there. If enough people know about a good public fishing hole there is alway a good chance it will be abused. I see it almost 50% of the time on the Chattachoochee River when I go fishing on the artifical only stretch I fish.

If you can find $0.98 you will have a dollar.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

Anderson, South Carolina (Northwest corner of SC) USA

Default Depends on the type of fishing!

Big water lakes and big rivers can sustain pretty heavy fishing pressure and sharing information really doesn't hurt them very quickly. Small streams and small ponds are a different story. Tell the wrong person and the fishery will be ruined very quickly. I always share with friends and trusted people but I would really draw the line at posting small stream or small pond information. I had a favorite bass pond ruined in an afternoon by four teenagers who didn't know any better. I don't know how they found the pond but I arrived in time to find them loading a full, large trash can of LMB into their car. When i explained the damage they had done to the pond, they actually offered to put some fish back in the water but it was too late. None of the returnees survived. The pond is now one solid mass of stunted sunfish. I would urge caution in posting information on easily damaged water. Just my opinion and well worth what you paid for it. 8T

Hi Len. I have to say that any posting on the Internet is "telling" for sure. That is where the danger lies. The WWW and it's search engines make this information available to anybody with an Internet connection. You know the location of some pretty special water, and soon many fisher-people will be sharing your favorite spots. I don't think you really want that to happen.

Guides, who earn their living taking folks to good fishing waters may loose a bit of business if your telling their future clients where to find the big 'uns for free.

In past discussions on other boards about this subject a couple points have come up. If the streams are small and heavy fishing pressure could do harm, why put it on the internet. If you want to share a great spot with people you know, do it by e-mail or PM, not on an open board or blog. By posting it in the open your telling anyone and everyone. The catch and kill guys read the blogs and boards as much as the catch and release guys, not to mention poachers.

Just food for thought.

REE
    Happiness is wading boots that never have a chance to dry out.

Blog Entries

Default a response from another source

Spinner, I think that's an alright approach. It's well known that the whole SW part of the state is fishable and it only takes someone looking at a map and driving to one of those streams to unintentionally fish in someone's favorite fishing hole. If somebody wants to debate you on this, they should be willing to take that fight to Rand McNally and DeLorme as well.

Willie i agree with you.

Blog Entries

Default 100 best streams by Trout Unlimited

100 best.....

dang.....

they are doing some serious Kiss & Telling.

The guides should be up in arms and calling

for their censorship?

There are no secret streams.....

avoiding naming streams is ludicrous

Get past this foolishness and your fishing experience will go much better.

If you want to risk ruining the streams you fish, well, that's your perogative...

Just don't be surprised if a 15" fish is hard to come by in a few years...

By the way, a LOT more people than you'd think will find that information... And not always the kind of people you'd like to have find it.

Blog Entries

It has been my experience that the quickest way to turn a good spot into a bad one is to advertise it. While these may be "your" spots, they may also be someone else's spots, and if it was me, and I showed up to fish to find a bunch of people following your directions, I think I would be annoyed.

Half the fun is finding the spots, IMO.

+ Reply to Thread