+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Some Time in the Mountains

Smile Some Time in the Mountains

Had a plan this morning. Hike up to Lemhi Divide above Meadow Lake. Then fish Meadow Lake for a while. After that, time permitting, work out the new F.E.B. Hopper on Birch Creek.

The weather altered the plan. As I was approaching the upper end of Birch Creek Valley, the clouds further north were becoming more ominous. With thunderstorms forecast, decided that a hike to the crest of the Lemhi Mountains at over 10,000' might not be such a great idea.

Okay. Time to pull off to the upper reaches of Birch Creek. Start there, and time permitting, finish up with the hike and fishing the lake.

This is a typical stretch of Birch Creek, with great views of the Lemhi Mountains as a backdrop.

Rigged up with the hopper, walked downstream about half a mile from the truck toward a spot that I knew would hold some trouts. Before I got to the place I had in mind, I came across a little stretch that I just could not not fish.

Got a hit almost as soon as the fly hit the water. Moments later, caught a nice little bow. A couple minutes after that, I got this little brookie.

Fished the original deer hair wing version for about an hour and had all kinds of action with it. Somewhere around fifteen fishies in hand. Fished the CDC wing version for about the same length of time with the same results. This is the deer hair version.

And the CDC wing version.

After fishing the hopper, decided to give Joe's Foam Back Royal Humpy a go. The humpy matched the hopper patterns for both action and results. Had bunches of fish looking at it as well as eating it, some just bumping it, and a couple that jumped completely out of the water to take it, and missed it !!

By the time I finished up on Birch Creek, I had tallied close to fifty fish in something over three hours of fishing. Usually, I just fish the holes and slots and seams on this creek. Today I fished both the hopper and humpy patterns over fast riffles with good results also.

The weather further north still looked iffy, but decided to take a closer look. By the time I got to Meadow Lake, it looked like rain for sure. But I decided to start the hike and see what happened. About ten minutes up the trail, here comes the forecast thunderstorm. But I still had some time in the trees, and the storm seemed to be moving away from the area I was headed to.

I sat out some of the storm below tree line and then headed up toward the Lemhi Divide. Some of the sights along the way.

And, of course, Meadow Lake as seen from about 600' higher elevation.

I didn't complete the hike to the Divide. The weather was just a bit too questionable. No way I was going to get on the ridge when I couldn't see what was coming.

When I got back down to the lake, I rigged up with a CDC and Elk ( tied with deer hair ) and fished the mouth of the inlet stream. Caught a nice bow with that fly, first time I have ever fished it. A little while later, I took a 13" cutthroat with a Harrop's Henry's Fork Caddis at the same spot. Not long after catching the cutthroat, the wind came up really serious. There were three fish at the mouth of the inlet in a little pocket about the size of a serving tray at a fast food joint, and I simply could not get a fly to the area they were holding.

Well, had to revise the plan, but it all worked out great. Today was an incredibly beautiful day in what is one of my 13,000 favorite places - Birch Creek Valley and the Lemhi Range.

John
    The fish are always right.

John,

Great report. Awesome pics. It seems whenever you show us pics of your beautiful fishing country, you are the only one out there enjoying the views. The only time I can fish alone like that is mid Fall in parts of the Sierra's.
    Trout don't speak Latin.

Thumbs up

Brookie... Nice report, wonderful day it looks and sounds like you had in some very pretty country...
    "Because by the Grace of God I can, be on a beautiful mountain stream with a friend , have the water boil from a 12" Native Brookie taking a self tyed dry,and feel it on the end of my cane... It don't get no better than that..."

I can only imagine!

Nice, John. VEE and I are remembering Birch Creek fondly.
    Happiness is wading boots that never have a chance to dry out.

Thanks, John. Great report as always. I've been hearing some good stuff about Meadow Lake of late, hope I can make it up there this year, but it appears I'll be getting a new hip within one to two months - really puts a bite into my fishing addiction.

Kelly.

P.S.: I thought you could drive to Meadow Lake?!?
    Tight Lines,

Kelly.

"There will be days when the fishing is better than one's most optimistic forecast, others when it is far worse. Either is a gain over just staying home."

Roderick Haig-Brown, "Fisherman's Spring"

Default Beautiful

John the Lemhi valley is truly a special place. Meadow Lake is one of my favorites. To going through the ghost town, To hiking to the devide then to fishing the lake it is incredible. The views to die for, and uniqe tarrane, its one of a kind. Thanks for the report and all the pics, since im in AK i needed a refresher of the majesty of Idaho. Thanks to you!!
    UNITY

Hey Guys -

Thanks for the thanks !!

Tyrone -

If I want to fish around other people, there are plenty of well known waters in this neck of the woods where I can do that. Fortunately, there are also plenty of places with great fishing that I can have all to myself. Don't mean that to sound selfish, but the simple fact is that I like to be on my feet and on the move, and I just like to be able to go where I want without having to dodge other people or cater to their actual or intended movements.

Grubb & crappiecrazy & Ron -

Glad you came along, whether from kinship of the mountains ( Grubb ), imagination ( crappiecrazy ) or fond memories of a special place ( Ron and Vickie ). Stay tuned. I think I will use this report as the start of another continuing thread for my adventures here and in Montana and in Wyoming over the next several months. Reports won't be as regular as on my previous running threads as I bounce around the Intermountain West and don't always have access to my computer, but I know you will enjoy a lot of the places I feature.

Kelly & Ryan -

You can drive to Meadow Lake. And the road is in excellent shape this year, much better than the times I've been up there in years past. The hike is from the campground, at about elevation 9,000' to the Lemhi Divide, at something over 10,000'. Good trail all the way, and actually a pretty easy hike.

Going to do it again tomorrow, Ryan. Good weather forecast so there should be no question about making it to the Divide, and maybe a bit higher taking the ridge north or south from the saddle. Should have some pics looking all directions from the crest. West to Sawmill Canyon and the Little Lost River. Can't wait to feature that river in a future report !!

John

P.S. Kelly - hope all goes well with the hip surgery when it is finally done.
    The fish are always right.

Blog Entries

John that is some beautiful, area you hike and fish in, I truly enjoy my time in the mountains, they are a place of power and healing..

Hope to see you this August..
    Last edited by flyfishfairwx; 07-13-2009 at 07:54 PM.
    As in the Army, I have never had a bad day Fly fishing, some damn uncomfortable days but never a bad one!
    Everyone must believe in something and I believe in Fly Fishing and Fly Tying and believe I will
    Member of Project Healing Waters & Fly Fishing Canada, Project Healing Waters Canada

Amazing photos and and report as always John. I always look forward to your fishing reports. After seeing this one I've only got one thing to say , I've got to visit your neck of the woods someday.

+ Reply to Thread