+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Lunchtime Challenge

Blog Entries

Default Schminnows

Some folks around here have been hitting up on the stripers below Denison Dam with schminnows so I whipped up a few in shad white.

I like those! Going to have to take a shot at some of those for myself! Thanks.

Looks good! I didn't know it had a name...but I tied up a couple of those and caught peacock bass on them in Florida a little over a year ago... They work quite well!

Haven't tried them on the white bass/hybrid "wipers" around here yet, but I'm sure they'd work for those fish too!
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

Blog Entries

Even more Schminnows - I like the simplicity, a woolly bugger without all the hassles of hackle palmering.

Blog Entries

Default addendum

I might try some different colors. I have a hankering to head north to Texoma or the small lakes of Denison (Loy and Waterloo. Might even get officah Jerry to share a plastic boat with me)

This thread has been idle for too long.

Earlier this week, I tied up yet another variation of the Schminnows mentioned a couple of posts earlier in this thread.

For the eyes, I used solid/dumbell eyes (I wanted a bit more weight than bead chain gives since it's hollow).

For the tail, I used a single strand off one of those weenie balls. I threaded it onto the hook like you would do if you were putting a real worm on the hook. that kept it well centered and straight back when I tied it down (if you tie on top of the hook, the weenie ball strand wants to stick out perpendicular to the hook when you tighten down on the thread).

Threading it onto the hook was "interesting". That stuff is really squishy but after a few tries, I got the hang of it.

Naturally, I don't have them handy and didn't take any pictures (yet). I'll fix that soon-ish.

I figure the tail won't get as skinny as marabou does when being pulled through the water, but will still be very wiggly when the fly moves, pauses, etc.

The heavier eyes were desired in part to counteract any buoyancy added by the tail material. And, the weightier eyes vs. the buoyant tail would give it more up/down motion as the fly is retrieved/paused/retrieved/etc.

Blog Entries

Thwack, right you are! Here are some Starbucks Sunday AM coffee tied flies

Crystal Flash Blonde

Marabou Blonde

Robin,

Nice looking flies!!!!

Blog Entries

thank you. I basically hopped up out of bed, grabbed my little bag of tools and vise and told myself I'd tie whatever could be tied with whatever materials were in the bag. Not too shabby I must say!

Dave,
    I've been toying around with a diver idea and like what you've done with these. One question I've had is how do they sit on the water. My first attemtp floated "sideways" as the boyuancy of the "lip" overshadowed the weight of the hook bend. (hard to explain but I'm sure you know what I'm getting at).

How do yours sit on the water?

My idea, once I get them floating right is to cover it with gold or silver tinsel and essentially make it a wounded minnow.

Still playing around with the concept.

I'm sure there is already something like that out there, I just want to experiment some and maybe even re-invent the wheel.

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by FishnDave View Post
    Some Wigglebugs:
    fishing bum in training
    My blog:
    http://www.kyflyfishguy.blogspot.com/

+ Reply to Thread