+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Lumbar pack gear?

Default Lumbar pack gear?

What gear do you folks carry in your lumber packs for a day of fishing? Mine has limited size. How to you carry a net?
    Gary

NRA
    SCI

whats the net for? have not used one in many years

Default No vest, waist pack.

I have used a waist pack or waist fly bag for over a decade. No more vests.
    I also use a lanyard and zingers to carry tools like forceps and nippers.
    I prefer to have the waist pack on my left (non-casting) hip.
    The first thing you learn is that you don't have to take 30 dozen fly boxes out to the water. The second thing you learn is that fishing shirt manufacturers now put enough roomy pockets on the shirts to accomodate any gear you don't want in the waist pack.

My net preference is a guide net (4' long handle) with rubber netting that I simply tuck into the back of my wading belt. The 4' length allows me to use it as a staff, as well as a net. Cabela's calls their version a "boat/float tube net." Not the brand I have, but it looks identical.

[NOTE: EVERYONE SHOULD WEAR A WADING BELT!! An FFF officer did actual tests of flooded waders and found they are essentially fatal -- fortunately he had help on the scene.]

I learned the net trick from two Colorado guides and have found that (assuming your wading belt is on sufficiently tight) the net actually does not move around on your back, and does not get in the way when wading or walking. It didn't even take any getting used to.

Most, but not all, of my fishing shirts have a loop for my net with magnetic net minder. I let the net lay on the pack and it seems to work. It's the method I use only during the fall and spring with low water. As soon as run off subsides, I'll sling the pack over one shoulder and under the other with the strap under the net.

On Edit- I forgot to add the gear I tote in pack. Two flyboxes, extra pair of hemostats, insect repellant (Ultrathon), strike indicators, non-toxic shot, leader wallet, and tippet spools. I keep two more small flyboxes in shirt pockets with a lanyard that has my Gink, hemostats, and fly drying patch.
    Last edited by rickie; 06-21-2009 at 03:30 PM.

Two boxes of flies (wet, dry, streamer, or bass bug, depending on target species), leaders, tippet, floatant, nippers, forceps. That's about it.

The net, when I use one, clips to a belt loop (I rarely wade and even more rarely do I wade deep).
    If it swims and eats, it'll eat a fly.

i usually fish with just a little waist pack so here are the items that go into my pack... However it is quite a different story when i fish with a vest on because one can put a whole load more stuff in

fly box with flies
    Zinger and clipper
    forceps
    spare tippet
    camera

thats's all =)

+ Reply to Thread