+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Necks, feathers for Central PA

Default Necks, feathers for Central PA

This may be a tough questions to answer but hope you guys can help. As some who have seen my post know I am new to tying but am having a great time and have joined the beginners swap. I have been tying mostly scuds, nymphs and streamers but will be starting on some drys as we get through this lousy winter. I saw the special Conranch has and would like to support them as a sponsor and take advantage of the special. My question, What should I invest in? And what colors? I fish mostly here in South Central PA... yellow breeches, Clarks Creek, Stoney Creek. I am not real sure what I will be tying when it comes to hatches this spring. Any guideance would be appreciated.

Bill

Dear Bill,

I'm really not sure of what you are asking but I'm going to give you an answer anyway. You can decide if it makes sense to you or not.

The overwhelming majority of flies you will tie for central PA can be tied using hackle from one of these 4 colors. Grizzly, Brown, Medium Dun, and Light Ginger.

Likewise, the sizes of flies typically range frm 12 to 18, so you can easily get by with a grade 2 neck. You needdn't be concerned with finding a neck that has a lot of hackle smalller than size 18 unless you want to concentrate on midges.

As you gain experience and find yourself tying more flies you may want to add a couple more colors to your arsenal. Black and cream would probably be the next most popular colors.

Like I said I wasn't exactly sure of what you were asking so I hope I helped you and didn't confuse you.

Regards,
    Tim Murphy

Tim

I appreciate that info. Thats pretty much what I was trying to ask. I want to order some necks while they have the sale going.
    What you say makes perfect sense.

Thanks

This helped me, as well. I appreciate straight forward info like this...

Thanks Folks!!!

------------------
    There's almost nothin' wrong with the first lie, it's the weight of all the others holdin' it up that gets ya'! - Tim
    Jesus still hangs out with fishermen.

Pa,
    Sounds like we may bump into each other along the same streams come spring. Only fished Yellow breeches once, but I make a couple of trips to Clarks each year, and Stoney is my favorite stream in the area. You may want to pick up a Golden Pheasant skin-Bass Pro Shops has them for under $10-they come in handy due to the variety of feathers and colors.

Blog Entries

Denny is the chat host on Sundays between 6-8 PST ----- 9-11 EST. He can quickly clear up all your questions about hackle . He has been very patient with my occasional dumb questions and I have always found Him to be a great host. Give chat a try next Sunday .
    For God's sake, Don't Quote me! I'm Probably making this crap up!

I agree with the idea of asking Denny. If you can't wait until Sunday just give him a call. He will, I'm sure, be more than happy to answer all of your questions and get you the products you'll be most satisfied with. Just remember the time change and avoid calling him at 4 AM

JeremyH

Thanks Jeremy. I have been known to answer all questions at even 4 AM.
    We do pride ourselves in customer service. I will not sell you anything just for a sale. I want you to be satisfied with our products and get what you really need into your hands.
    Thanks JC, don't know how mean my bugs are but did have an outstanding season with my bugs this past season. Some of the new colors we are producing are responsible. At least the fish like them. It did not hurt to spend 62 days fishing this year. Did not quite make my 100 projected number. Maybe 2006.
    Calls or e-mails are always answered to the best of my knowledge and ability.

Denny

------------------
    Denny
    Denny@conranch.com
    Co-Owner Conranch Hackles
    Denny

You'll evenbtually find you have every color possible..as you'll be needing them...

When I started tying all I heard was how great Saddles are....well...Capes are the most important...after buying a ton of saddles I came to that conclusion...Start with capes .....plenty of Capes.. You get your tailing and hackle in one fail swoop....
    Wish ya great fishing,Bill

nighthawk Guest

Bill,
    The only color I can think to add is cream. If you go to Bass Pro make certain to swing over to Gander Mountain as well. Also have Clouser's in Middletown. I totaly agree with talking to Denny. He is "Mr. Hackle" and always has sound advice. Great feathers from Conranch too.

------------------
    Eric "nighthawk"

American veteran and proud of it!

+ Reply to Thread