+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Remembering a fallen buddy. This one is very personal...

nighthawk Guest

Default Remembering a fallen buddy. This one is very personal...

...and it has been just over three years since it happened. The pain and sorrow has not faded. Neither has the guilt of not being there for him. I found him in this video on Youtube the other day. At 2:52 there is his picture, Lieutenant Colonel Michael E. McLaughlin of the 2nd Brigade Combat Team/28th Infantry Division, Pennsylvania Army National Guard.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nptA5uj6ZRY

I served with Mike in Battery A 229th field Artillery (now Battery D 229th) 28th Infantry Division "The Bloody Bucket". One day I was digging a pit for the M60 in some very high heat/humidity at Ft. Pickett, Va.when I heard someone grunting behind me as they swung the pick to break up that tough Virginia soil. I figured it was one of the lower enlisted men helping out the "old" vet but imagine my surprise when I turned around to find then Lieutenant McLaughlin sweating his rear end off there with me! That is the kind of officer and man that he was.

http://www.militarycity.com/valor/1456380.html

I am getting a little too emotional about this right now so I am going to go ty some flies. Thanks for letting me share this.

Eric,
    I'm with you my brother. These are the things that bring the most vivid memories and most meaningful emotions to the toughest individuals in America. No one is more dedicated or more earnest in pursuit of freedom than the American GI. When we lose one of our own, it opens the door to a whole host of feelings. Nothing is more intense than their dedication to "Old Glory." I not only honor the fallen, but I honor all who have served. May the Lord bless us, each and every one. Thanks for sharing Eric. God bless you, & my heart is with you.
    Where you go is less important than how you take the steps.
    Fish with a Friend,
    Lotech Joe

Blog Entries

I understand Eric

It gets harder and harder to open letters and emails from old Army friends because, I just know that another one of them has fallen and it hurts it hurts damn bad..

I am with you on this one Shoulder to Shoulder..
    As in the Army, I have never had a bad day Fly fishing, some damn uncomfortable days but never a bad one!
    Everyone must believe in something and I believe in Fly Fishing and Fly Tying and believe I will
    Member of Project Healing Waters & Fly Fishing Canada, Project Healing Waters Canada

nighthawk Guest

Thanks guys!

Hey Nighthawk, if you can't share here, good luck finding someplace else to do it. Even though they wouldn't let me serve, I have several good friends and relatives who have served or are serving. A very close friend died about 6 years from effects of agent orange, Vietnam. I will always remember him cussing out my hunting roads then laughing about them.

Enough said, I'm getting emotional know.
    Wyo-Blizzard

nighthawk Guest

Byron,
    Thanks. I share your grief over your buddy. It is an awful thing to go through but without their suffering and sacrifice we would not have this great nation and the world would not have a chance at freedom.

Just remember that not matter who we are or what we do our everyday labors help keep America strong and free. Your contributions through your labors and support of our nation are just as vital in the cause of liberty as beans, bombs, fuel and serving a hitch. Without the folks at home the sacrifices of our troops would be in vain.

nighthawk Guest

Steve,
    Buddy that was beautiful! Thanks and I know Mike would be proud of your tribute to him.

Eric,

I'm so sorry for this loss of a fine guy and friend. I can imagine. This is rough.

What a senseless tragedy. You have my respect.

Jeremy.

Default Admiration

You men and women have my thanks and admiration. War....I don't understand it. I don't know why good men and women must die in such a manner. A young man in my small town America came home from Iraq with one less arm and leg. He has a wife and child. Thanks for your courage and keeping our country free.

Default deep emotions

Truly sorry for your loss!! Never easy losing a loved one!!! Embark on life's greatness, thanks, pce, and god bless
    UNITY

+ Reply to Thread