+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: I love my Dog "Fischer"

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lew View Post
    The wolves that were introduced into Yellowstone and surrounding areas have been greatly expanding their range. They've been spotted as far south as central Utah, and are seen in many areas of Idaho, Montana, and Wyoming. They have been a source of much controversy and discussion in this area, and it wouldn't surprise me to see that they have expanded northward, across the border into Canada. A fellow that lives near Ashton, Idaho heard his Labrador Retriever engaged in battle, in his back yard. He literally had to wade into a pack of wolves, and yank his dog out of their jaws. The dog will recover, and thankfully the man wasn't injured. These sorts of incidents are happening more frequently all the time. I see where they have been de-listed from the ESA again, in Idaho and Montana. If you wander afield in wolf country, it would be wise to keep your pets close.
    Hi Lew

I think these wolves if that is what they were wold be indigenous to the area and not imports to speak..

I have seen wolves about 50 miles to the north and their prints all over..

The wolves in YNP were sent there from Canada at the American governments request I believe so you can blame that on us..

I think that they are a very important part of the system and should not be harassed.. I have spot in the evening over 200 deer along the road while going home after fishing.. that alone is a good reason for the Wolves to be there..
    As in the Army, I have never had a bad day Fly fishing, some damn uncomfortable days but never a bad one!
    Everyone must believe in something and I believe in Fly Fishing and Fly Tying and believe I will
    Member of Project Healing Waters & Fly Fishing Canada, Project Healing Waters Canada

Quote Originally Posted by flyfishfairwx View Post
    Hi Lew

I think these wolves if that is what they were wold be indigenous to the area and not imports to speak..

I have seen wolves about 50 miles to the north and their prints all over..

The wolves in YNP were sent there from Canada at the American governments request I believe so you can blame that on us..

I think that they are a very important part of the system and should not be harassed.. I have spot in the evening over 200 deer along the road while going home after fishing.. that alone is a good reason for the Wolves to be there..
    My post was speculative, based on the rapid growth and expansion of the wolves in this general area. There have been lots of arguments pro and con about wolves here, and you'll find avid elements on both sides. The answer has to lie somewhere in the middle. Packs of wolves in peoples back yards, attacking pets and other animals, and in close proximity to children, is not acceptable, as is wholesale decimation of big game animal herds, which is happening in some areas. Shooting every wolf on sight is also not acceptable. Rational thinking, and compromise must prevail for the problems to be solved. Question: Are the wolves that were imported from Canada the same species that they replaced? Seems like I've heard that they are Timber Wolves, and those indiginous to this area were Prairie Wolves, and not the same critters. Someone enlighten me.
    They're just fish, right? Right?

Blog Entries

Flyfishfairwx -- great pics and story -- great looking dog -- love the signature too -- I'm interested in whether that's a quote (seems familiar)

Coyotes have been among the most adaptive animals in the wild (Canada Geese, deer, raccoons also come to mind) -- one of biggest problem is their ability to interbreed with domestic dogs which results in larger coyote (also known as coydog or even "brush wolf") -- these will run in packs -- considerably larger than skinny "wily" coyote of cartoon fame -- here in Ontario we have coyotes in Toronto -- one recently has been seen taking local cats and small dogs right from homes bordering on city ravine
    "No matter how complicated life can get -- remember life is sometimes like fly fishing; after turning over every rock in the river trying to "match the hatch", you have probably spooked every fish for miles -- so don't let the "little things" BUG you -- just enjoy whatever you find." Mike Ormsby

I'm VERY envious of you lucky folks who get to be menaced by wolves rather than by four million other people.

This PBS NATURE program is compelling - beautiful and savage - and stars wolves and coyotes. : http://www.pbs.org/wnet/nature/episo...roduction/212/ There's even a caddis hatch which does not go unnoticed by the birds.

The heck with the wolves!!!...Fischer is one BEAUTIFUL German Shepherd.....my absolute favorite breed.
    Thanks for sharing him with us!!
    Mike
    FAOL..All about caring, sharing, & good friends!!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ohiotuber View Post
    The heck with the wolves!!!...Fischer is one BEAUTIFUL German Shepherd.....my absolute favorite breed.
    Thanks for sharing him with us!!
    Mike
    Hi OT

Thanks for that he is a great dog..

I talked to the Fish and Game Cop in the area and YES they are following two count them TWO collared wolves in that area.. it is the south end of their range....

He told me that there maybe up to 5 or 6 more in the area!!!
    As in the Army, I have never had a bad day Fly fishing, some damn uncomfortable days but never a bad one!
    Everyone must believe in something and I believe in Fly Fishing and Fly Tying and believe I will
    Member of Project Healing Waters & Fly Fishing Canada, Project Healing Waters Canada

+ Reply to Thread