+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Falling Spring Branch...

1. Default Falling Spring Branch...

Has anybody ever fished this spring creek? It is located in Chambersburg, Pennsylvania...from what I have seen it looks like a very interesting creek!

------------------
    "GET THE DRIFT?"

Knew the proprietor of Falling Springs Outfitters in Scotland while he was in business a few years back. It's one of those creeks you can fish all year round, but the trout are finicky & it'll take a while to get use to the technical aspects of fly presentation in hipwader waters. Very challenging on drys!

3. Default

Very technical, huh? Sounds like fun.

------------------
    "GET THE DRIFT?"

Mike:

It is an absolutely beautiful stream that is known for its Trico hatches. It is very clear, very weedy, very tough at times. I like to fish it in the summer with terrestrials and the especially effective sculpin pattern.

Unfortunately some of my favorite stretches are now posted due to the arrogance of some FF'ers toward the farmer who owns the property but there is still some great water available.

Here is a good link about the stream:
    [url=http://flyfisherman.com/northeast/fallingspring/index2.html:25a6a]http://flyfisherman.com/northeast/fallingspring/index2.html[/url:25a6a]

All the above remarks are on point.

My late Aunt lived in Chambersburg, near the stream. Years ago,when I visited her I used to fish it alot. It's far more popular now.

Here's a cute story about an incident I had on the stream with another fisherman. It really happened.

One day I was fishing the upper end of the stream by the stone bridge. There was a little kid there with a small bucket and a little rod. He was about 7 years old. I asked him how he was doing. "Pretty good," he said; "but I've run out of bread and I have to go home and get more from mommy." I looked in his bucket. He had about 5 Brook Trout in it about 8 to 10 inches long!

Mike, Type "Falling Spring Greenway" into you search engine and also go to the TU site to see if the Falling Spring TU Chapter has a website. The info. on the Greenway site should bring you up-to-date - almost! If the TU Chapter has a site, you will be provided with even more info.
    I thought that it was a hunter that gave Mr. skelly a hard time and as a result he thought he had had enough. Result: posted land. I understand that he is selling the land. After the sale, it should be opened to fishing again. .... Cost/benefit! This is second hand so it may just be a "fishing legend". Years ago, Mr. Skelly's young son, maybe 5 -7 years of age, was fishing the stream by his farm when the Fish Wardern threaten to arrest the son for fishing with bait in a fly fishing only area. Mr. Skelly just said fine, go ahead, BUT, if you do, I will post my land. As I understand it, the Warden walked away as he, the warden, had already figured out that he did not want to put up with the wrath of all the fishermen that fished the stream - in and out of state.

7. Default

Maybe I could go there in the Spring or Summer...This is a very exciting looking creek!

------------------
    "GET THE DRIFT?"

Flyfisher's Guide to PA, by Dave Wolf covers it as well with hatch charts and such...The Trico hatches are to be like blizzards on Falling Branch according to him...In recent years the expanding and development of the area is to be expolding..I've not been to this one....But hear about it from friends..

[This message has been edited by billknepp (edited 21 November 2005).]
    Wish ya great fishing,Bill

Go fish the springs on the first day of the new year ! That's a tradition for some; year after year ! Still have a box of flies for the waters: BWO, Trico, cressbug & Mark's shrimp !

The story I got regarding the Skelly property is that a fly fisherman made some critical comments to Mr Skelly regarding the cattle wandering through the stream; something I've gotten used to fishing in people's pastures.

As a matter of fact I remember one day making repeated casts to a rising fish while crouched down behind a tree stump behind the Skelly barn. A cow moseyed into the creek and relieved herself BOTH WAYS literally on top of the fish. The fish continued feeding which made me question the necessity of continuing my hiding.

After that I considered buying a cow suit .

[This message has been edited by Bamboozle (edited 21 November 2005).]

+ Reply to Thread