+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Flies tied in Nova Scotia

Default Flies tied in Nova Scotia

Hi,

Well, I've recently finished reading "The Tent Dwellers" by Albert Bigalo Paine (sp?). His book was written in 1908, and is about a summer fishing trip he and a friend took to the "wilds" of Nova Scotia, fishing for brook trout. It has been re-released as the 100th anniversary of the book just went by (the author is more famous for his biography of Mark Twain).

Many of the flies he mentions in the book are still popular today in Nova Scotia at least (Silver Doctor, Parmachene Belle, Brown Hackle, Red Tag, Montreal). I've seen some of these for sale in shops recently - and it's winter here!

It's a very enjoyable read, very entertaining and will appeal to anyone who loves the outdoors.

Anyway, my plug for a good book aside, I picked it up while getting myself stocked with some tying gear. Thought I would share a few of the results.

I call this a "Blue March", since it's basically a March Brown, but I've used a blue tinsel ribbing, like a Blue Bottle.

This next one is called a Jerry Madiddler. The front hackle is claret. In New Zealand all the claret is very dark, almost purple. I've never grown used to it as I'm used to this much more reddish looking colour. I've seen the purple version here too (called Dark Claret) and I've seen some lighter than this, almost pink.

Here's a Parmachene Belle. I usually put a red stripe down the middle of the wing, but I've seen versions with just the red on the top. I decided to tie a few this way for variety. Another one I tied I used seal's fur for the body, which makes for a nice buggy looking fly. Might do some more of those. I've found the P-Belle to work really well in New Zealand on rainbows as well.

This next one is just one I threw together. The tail and throat are squirrel tail rather than feathers. I tied this before picking up a few more colours of hackle, but I had picked up a small variety pack of squirrel tail dyed different colours. I was pleased with how well it worked as a substitute.

- Jeff
    Last edited by JeffHamm; 02-07-2009 at 03:06 PM. Reason: fix a link

These next two are just a few I tied up to use the Claret feathers more. The gold one (2nd) I was going to do as a "Claret Butcher", but I didn't have any of the blue Mallard feathers for the wings (which is the hallmark of the butcher series). Looks fine with the pheasant tail slips, and it gives me an excuse to go back to the shop ...

This is called a Dr. Burke I think. It should have jungle cock eyes as well, but I didn't pick any up. With the JC eyes, this is a really pretty, elegant fly. Eric covered it in Just Old Flies a while back last year just about the time I saw it in a magazine at my local fly shop in New Zealand. I tied a few up then, but haven't had a chance to fish them. I have great expectations for this fly though. It just looks like a productive pattern.

Hmmmm, wonder if the driveway needs shovelling again?

- Jeff

Hi Jeff,

Once again, some beautiful work. I have found substituting from some original patterns isn't always a bad thing as you already know. It's kinda neat that patterns 100 years old are still as productive today and just as popular. It proves new isn't always best and some of the old timers are still paving the way for us.
    Steve

Excellent work Jeff, well you have probably guessed
    my taste in flies. If you are shovelling the drive,
    you must be back in NS, when I look out my window
    and see all that horrible white s.....tuff, NZ sounds
    perfect for February.
    Donald Nicolson (Scotland)

http://donaldnicolson.webplus.net/

Nice flies Jeff! I know I still use these older patterns for brook trout here in NS, and many are my go-to patterns, like the Dark Montreal and Silver Butcher.

Thanks for sharing,

Logan

Jeff -

Neat flies. Good to see that you are back at it.

John
    The fish are always right.

Hi Rookie,

Yah, playing around with the older patterns can pay off big time. A lot of the older wets are still highly productive. Nothing wrong with the new innovations and new synthetic materials, but there's nothing wrong with the flies from 100+ years ago either. Well, eyes on the hook make things easier!

- Jeff

Thanks Donald!

And you guessed it. I'm back in NS now. Will be here until mid-March, then heading over to your neck of the woods. Will be staying in Manchester, but plan on making a trip up to Scotland to sight see (Stirling Bridge and Bannochburn). Really looking forward to that. I'm a Cameron and a Byers (family of the Lindsay). that will probably be in April or May.

- Jeff
    Last edited by JeffHamm; 02-09-2009 at 10:54 AM.

Hi Logan1193,

Indeed, I've had great luck with a "bloody butcher" (basically, same as a butcher, but a red hackle rather than black). Also, the P-Belle was considered by many old-timers to be the best brook trout fly. Similar colour scheme to a Micki Finn (reds and yellows), and that's a real producer.

- Jeff

Thanks John!

I was getting pretty ichy fingers without some tying gear. I think I'm ok now. Picked up all sorts of colours of thread that I can't get back in NZ. Fun stuff.

- Jeff

+ Reply to Thread