+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Here is my Medalist 1494!!!

Default Here is my Medalist 1494!!!

A few weeks ago Nick (Bamboozle) posted a picture of his Medalist 1494 that he described as being "pimped" which means he sent it to One-Pfoot and had many new parts installed like a round line guard, sculptured pins, new reel foot, new drag plate with 8 indents per side which allows one to change it from left hand retrieve to right hand retrieve and it will still be smooth. The original drag plate could be reversed on the 1494 but one side only had 4 indents which made for a not so smooth retrieve. I contacted Nick and fired 100 questions at him and finally decided, after seeing his, that I wanted one "tricked out". I ended up purchasing 2 Medalist 1494's and both were Made in USA off E-Bay. They were both like new condition and one even came with the original box and all paperwork. I contacted Bill at One-Pfoot and I ended up sending one of my reels to him to be "pimped". I just got it back today and it is really nice! Smooth as silk and a beautiful reel IMO. One-Pfoot does excellant work and I would highly recommend them.

My pimped reel is on the right and when it was sent to Bill at One-Pfoot is looked just like the one on the left. I also ordered a new drag plate and counterbalance to install on the reel on the left. Thanks for all your help Nick!!!

Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

Congratulations and welcome to the One Pfoot Pimp Club!!

Dang, you guys are making me want a pimped out 1494. Very nice fellas.
    Happiness is wading boots that never have a chance to dry out.

Cool Drop a hint?

Anyone think of dropping a hint to Bill at One Pfoot about being a Sponsor here? Hmmmmm?

Thumbs up

Awesome Warren!
    Doug
    Enjoying the joys of others and suffering with them- these are the best guides for man. A.E.

Default Well shoot...

beautiful looking reel WarrenP....all these Medalist posts lately has me rooting around in the tradin' stock....found a 1495 DA, noticed it was right hand crank, changed it quickly to left hand crank and now I 'spose I'll have to lovingly clean, hone and lightly lube it....then line it and find something to fasten it to. It's well used so I wouldn't want to use it for steel...lmb and smb I think...back up for the 7wt. maybe.

Thanks for the inspiration !

Cheers,

MontanaMoose
    Last edited by MontanaMoose; 12-27-2008 at 06:32 AM.

Beautiful looking job. I never realized what a huge fan club the Medalists had out there. I have always liked mine, and may start looking around at Ebay or whatever to see about picking up another one. I don't have a 1492 as of yet, but would have a home for one. I don't see many of the Orvis versions out there, but there must have been a ton of them sold as well. Definitely want the USA made ones.
    Good Tying and Good Fishing!
    Bob

Default Beautiful, Warren

That looks great, Warren. I bought a 1494DA off of Ebay and I'm wondering how much I need, want, or afford to spend on it. They do a great job.

Beautiful. I also am glad to find out that there are fans of this reel here. I have a bunch and once found myself sitting back and staring at a 1495 from afar and just marvelling at the design of them..(at this point I have realized that I have shared too much information).
    Janus

lastchance,

You do not need to go as far as I did on mind. My other Medalist works just fine and the only parts I changed on it was to purchase the counerbalance and the drag plate from One-Pfoot. His high profile counterbalance weighs the same as the handle which will balance out the spool and his drag plate is great. It has 8 indents on both sides which makes for a very smooth and I feel quiet/soft click on retrieve or when line is pulled out either by the user or a fish. All the other parts I had installed were for cosmetic looks only and are not really needed for improving the actual function of the reel. I had it done because I really liked the looks on Bamboozle's reel and just had to have one of my own. I used it today on my 4 weight and and it not only looked great, it also performed great and I doubt if there was another one like it on the whole river! I am fascinated with the brake mechanism! Such a simple but very strong design. Enjoy your Medalist and contact Bill at One-Pfoot either by phone or e-mail. He is very easy to talk to and he will be honest with you. His products are of the highest quality and well designed.

I do not represent One-Pfoot nor do I gain from giving him free advertisement. I am just a very satisfied customer of his and will be a future customer with other Medalist reels.
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

+ Reply to Thread