+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Good Steelhead Reel

Default Good Steelhead Reel

I got one heck of a deal on a 9' 10wt rod blank so I thought it is going to be my steelhead rod (maybe salmon, northern, and muskie also). I need a reel for it that can handle the cold. I have heard horror stories about drags icing up and free spooling on some reels. I also don't want to break the bank on this either as I may only use this rod 15 - 20 times a year. Would like to keep the price for the reel, backing, and line less than $300.
    Any suggestions for reel and line are greatly appreciated.

Lamson Velocity 4 (260.00)
    Gunnison 5 (Retired but can find at close out or EBAY...(200.00)
    Teton Tioga 10 or 12 (160.00)

$ = approx

A great line at good $ is the SA Ultra 4 Sink tip 3 37.95

There are others but just mentioned the ones I know and came to mind when replying.

Blog Entries

To properly ice up a reel, it helps to dunk it in the water first thing in the morning, and then let it sit for five minutes or so. Steelheaders and people from Montana learn to keep the reel out of the water when ice is in the guides.

I don't bother with a high-end reel for steelhead. Have yet to lose a fish because of the reel. I have been using a $40 Bass Pro Hobbs Creek disc reel for the past couple years, and it works just fine. I don't think they make a version big enough to fit a 10wt line, though. Before that it was the Sage clicker and a couple of SA 2Ls. If I was going to waste, er, spend money on a fancier reel, I would probably try a Galvan, just cause they make em in flat green. And they are smooth.

Stick with a limp line for the rod. A lot of lines cast great at 70F, but if you are worried about icing a reel, you need to also think about how stiff the line is going to be at those temps. I like SA XPS lines for steelies. My advice is DO NOT use a Rio Salmon/Steel line. I tried it, on the recommendation of an acquaintance, and it was the stiffest, hardest to cast coldwater line I have used.

I have never needed anything more than a click drag reel for steelhead. They run and jump around until they tire themselves out so you don't need a heavy drag like you need for the warm salt water species. Go cheap and don't worry about it. I save my expensive reels for the faster saltwater species.

5. Default

Tioga # 8 or 10
    I've used one for 3 seasons now with no problems and have had fish take line against the drag. Haven't lost a fish because of the drag. Sometimes we're fishing size 18 PTs and stoneflies on 6X tippets.

Sounds like someone was trying to sell me a bill of goods. I got into this discusion at a fly shop with a bunch of old timers (well older than me ). They had me convinced that this $500 reel was what I needed because of the way the drag had slot cut in it to shed water??
    I haven't started building the rod yet and I only paid $22 for the blank. Should I maybe buy a lighter weight blank and go with an 8wt? Or is this 10wt going to be OK. I would only need a blank and winding check.

I picked -up a Crystal River Reel (CR-2002) for my 8 wt line. Found it on e-bay for something like $22.00 + shipping ($6.00?). Cannot believe the disc drag, overall construction and the smoothness of operation of the reel for those few bucks. For an inexpensive utility reel, it has to be a terrific buy.

Dale

You can get a Redington AS reel on Ebay for less than $50. That reel has a drag that will handle steelhead.

Flyline,

Sounds like someone was trying to sell me a bill of goods
    For 500 USD, I'd say you're right. I don't do much salt, but even for Atlantics, my "fancy" reel is a Velocity. (and it doesn't ice up in october here).

------------------
    Christopher Chin
    Jonquiere Quebec

[This message has been edited by fcch (edited 22 February 2005).]
    Christopher Chin

I second the reco for a Lamson Velocity. Its drag is totally sealed via a rubber o-ring, so you wont get ice in there.

+ Reply to Thread