+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AuSable River Flys

Default AuSable River Flys

I'm posting this here because of the activity in this forum. I'll also post a like post in "Fly Tying". Winter is fast approaching us Northerners and it's time to get down to some serious tying (and rod building)!

What Flys Would You Tie for the FAOL Fish In on the AuSable River Next August in Grayling, MI?
    What would be your "Go To" rod?

Could we have an "On Site" Fly Swap"?

You Guys & Gals are going to get so tired of hearing me HYPE this event that ya all will come just to shut me up!!

------------------
    I feel more like I do now than I did when I got here!

Cactus AKA "Lucky Dog (Pirate Name)"

[This message has been edited by Jack Hise (edited 16 October 2005).]

well...its the end of august. heres my suggestions based on the photos youve sent me and my "hatch charts" (which may, or may not be accurate )

flies:
    hoppers
    tricos
    caddis
    baetis/calibaetis
    red quills
    ants(cinnamon and/or black)
    beetles(black CDC and/or moose mane)
    sizes...im not quite sure. around here i would go 16-20,22-26 for baetis and tricos, and ill accept any input from those "in the know".

goto rod is a 3wt with a 5wt backup.

on site swap?? absolutely. in fact, i assume that is a given, seeing as how we will be tying "nightly".

and, jack, the more you "hype" this thing...the more excited i get...

------------------
    Everyone dies. Only the lucky ever truly Live. Take your time.

Chris-Bishop, CA, USA

Red Quills??? In August??? Must be a typo... Either that or you guys are calling some other May fly the Red Quill and do not mean the male Hendrickson which is on the water back here in the East anywhere basically from mid April to mid May ,

beetles and ants. worked for me last august.
    "If I'm not going to catch anything, then I 'd rather not catch anything on flies" ... Bob Lawless

Mantis;
    My chart does not show any quills, ever (sorry Tyflier!)!? However it does show the Dark Hendrickson and the True Hendrickson??
    And, what in the world is a "White Golved Howdey"!!??

------------------
    I feel more like I do now than I did when I got here!

Cactus AKA "Lucky Dog (Pirate Name)"

ok...let me clarify. out here, i use a red quill as a general imitation of light to dark brown mayflies. i have never seen a "hendrickson hatch". i have seen small, pale to medium brownish mayflies. i dont know what they are, and i dont really care . i know that a basic red quill pattern works for me in cali, and just might work in MI.

in fact, i tye a red quill pattern down to size 28 and use it to imitate small adult midges through the winter out here. i must say it is quite successful pretty much from the end of july through the beginning of april, for me.

sorry for the confusion. im not so much an entomologist as i am an observer. i see bugs, i tie flies that i hope matches them. the red quill works for me, much as a stimulator works for others. it "matches" several different types of fly i see on my waters through various times of the year.

------------------

Chris-Bishop, CA, USA

While yuz guyz are debatin the entomological patterns I'm gonna be slayin em with somethin medium , somethin small and somethin REAL small.

Mark

------------------
    I'd rather be in Wyoming!

Hey Mark,
    Do we agree on entomology?...You know...
    dark, light, xl, l, m, s & xs..and don't fergit fuzzy or shiny!
    Mike

------------------
    This site's about sharing!
    FAOL..All about caring, sharing, & good friends!!

Okay Chris..just when you used the latin baetis/calibaetis you seemed pretty exacting. That's why the Red Quill which is really the first major early season.hatch in the East seemed out of place. Good recovery! lol.

Jack: Jim spelled it out phoenetically (where's spell check when you need it) for you. Iso's for short. They have little white feet and that's where the 'white gloved' comes from About the last good sized may fly that often comes out around here in two distinct hatches timewise.

[This message has been edited by mantis (edited 16 October 2005).]

mantis--

baetis and calibaetis are 2 types of dries available 'round here. the only differences as far as i can tell are size (cali. being a bit larger) and number of tails (baetis having 2, cali. having more than 2). go into any fly shop near me and ask for a baetis or a calibaetis and youll be pointed to shelves with nymphs, emergers and dries representing what i can only assume is the actual insect they refer to...

i only know the names because of the flies available in the shops...

------------------

Chris-Bishop, CA, USA

+ Reply to Thread