+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What is a furled leader and why?

Default What is a furled leader and why?

I have seen John Scott, who I think has the best pictures and fish reports on the forum talk about furled leaders, would someone give a quick explanation and advantage.

shacked

Shacked;
    A tapered furled leader can be cast by it's self giving you the advantage of using longer tippets. It also allows you to only change tippet for different presentations. Furled leaders made from Uni tying thread can be treated to float for hours and those made from flourocarbon will sink nicely for nymphing. A furled leader made from 4# test material will have a break strength of 12# and handle just about anything you fish for. Furled leaders are very cheap to make as well as fun.
    I was told that "That only those that can't cast use Furled Leaders!? I took that to mean that a furled leader would improve my casting and it did!!
    Been making them and using them for sometime now and will never go back!!

Question Shock Leader

So Jack, if I have a nine to twelve inch flurocarbon shock leader, example 10 lb. test attached to my fly line loop to loop, and then at the bottom of the shock leader a loop to loop connection to my tippet, is that not the same thing? Instead of using multiple strands, would I still not get the additional weight, strength and ease of changing tippets as the furled. Just curious and trying to understand the benefits, it seems like a pain to make or weave the leader. The statement of increased accuracy in casting you mentioned was interesting, is it the bulk of the leader which gives you the added finesse.

thanks,
    shacked

just trying to get educated, and most of the time it is a full time job.

Furled leaders go back to when leaders were made of horsehair. Like Mr. Hise said they cast themselves it seems.
    There are two legs and these legs could be wound clockwise x amount of turns. You put the two together with a weight on the thin end, and it "unwinds counterclockwise. Furling. Like ropes are made.
    Clear it all up?
    I've got some furled leaders from Flygoddess and I haven't looked back. Others make and sell them too. I like the Uni Thread leaders the best. I don't mind the mono furled leaders and a lot of people like them, but that's just my preference- (Uni thread).
    To keep the leader afloat, use mucillin, Johnson's Paste wax, bowling ball wax, Gink etc. etc. etc. I've usually found one treatment of mucillin at the beginning of fishing enough to float it for most of the day. A little dab'll do ya.
    For a 5' leader I'll use anywhere from 3' to 6' of tippet. I also have my leaders made with a tippet ring. I find it most useful. And haven't notice any fish spook because of the ring. Get the with, or without. Another personal preference.
    Last edited by RS1; 08-19-2008 at 11:52 PM.

Default furled leaders

Jack, i looked at some on the internet and am starting to get it now, they can be treated so they float also, and give you additional bulk if you will to tighten your loops in the casts and supposedly a softer landing. When you fish with the furled leaders what are the average length of your tippets when dry fly fishing and nymphing.

thanks,
    shacked

Simply stated furled leaders turn over flies better than the average bear...I mean leader

Shacked;
    If you will pm me your mailing address I will send you one of each. A 6/0 Uni thread to fish dry's with and a Vanish Transition Flourocarbon for nymphs and wets.
    I am a furled leader junkie and love to see the responses of those that try them. If you were to build your own "Board" (very simple, easy and cheap) a Uni Thread leader would cost about $0.20 to make! A Flourocarbon leader would cost about $1.00. It takes about 15 minutes to make one.
    I've even made them from Coats & Clark "Glow in the Dark Thread!!

I'm interested in hearing more...

(there's not a furled leader section in here)
    "Engineers don't idle well."

CO_Flyfisher;
    Being a retired (are we ever?) engineer I like your siginature line!! You can buy a furled leader on line for 14 - 16 bucks. You can build a furling board for around 10! Then the fun/challange begins. When you begin to understand the dynamics of furled leaders you begin to experiment with different materials to address different conditions.
    For example, I have settled into my fishing style here and a weighted soft hackle works well. Couple that to a 4# Vanish Transition furled leader and I am assured to get deep quickly with the best results.
    In Sept. I'm headed to the Idaho Fish-In where we will be throwing very large Caddis flys. The 7' 10/8/6 taper Uni Thread leaders don't like flys that big, too gentle for big drys. So I added a round of 4# mono to the formula and think I've got the problem solved.
    Ah the joys of making you own furled leaders!!

Here and ofer here you can find info on furled leaders. then you could google Claude Freaner and get a whole bunch more info. Read these then come back and lets talk. Deal?
    mcsteff
    ps actually Jack will talk and we'll listen.

+ Reply to Thread