+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Presenting: Solid rocky; The Punk Rock Bass

Default Presenting: Solid rocky; The Punk Rock Bass

Hello, folks. Happy Monday . . .

Trapped at work? Well, Chapter Four of Small Fry has just been published online by Global Fly Fisher. This latest installment of my free online fishing book is titled:

Chapter 4: Presenting Solid rocky; The Punk Rock Bass

http://www.globalflyfisher.com/writings/small-fry/?c=4

Here I discuss the mighty rock bass. This will be the last of the warmwater fish I'll investigate and discuss in the serial. So, enjoy, and thanks again for your ongoing interest!

;p-)

Rod & Reeling Regards,

-- ron P. swegman

http://www.ronpswegman.com

Blog Entries

Ron,

I've very much enjoyed your warm water series. Looking forward to more!

Oh, and I got a kick out of this! "Call me a sunfish bohemian (my call and response to the trout bum)"

Sounds like a good T-shirt slogan...
    Last edited by rrhyne56; 07-29-2008 at 03:29 PM.

Anderson, South Carolina (Northwest corner of SC) USA

Smile Keep up the good work!

I've enjoyed your publishing efforts. You have so many "little guys" left to cover, it could be quite a large book by the time you are done. 8T

What does this mean?

Thanks!

Short-line, high-stick nymphing is another fine way to present a sunk fly to rock bass. This technique also brings the fly-fisher closer to the quarry, which adds to the fun. A large Hare?s Ear, Woolly Worm, or Zug Bug pattern dropped with a minimum of fly line onto the slicks and sloughs around boulders can produce constant takes and large catches along a rock bass stream

Quote Originally Posted by crappiecrazy View Post
    What does this mean?

Thanks!

Short-line, high-stick nymphing is another fine way to present a sunk fly to rock bass. This technique also brings the fly-fisher closer to the quarry, which adds to the fun. A large Hare?s Ear, Woolly Worm, or Zug Bug pattern dropped with a minimum of fly line onto the slicks and sloughs around boulders can produce constant takes and large catches along a rock bass stream

Hi. To clarify . . .

Stand in the crick with just your leader and maybe a foot or three of flyline hanging from the rod tip. Use light flip or roll casts into a current flowing toward rocks that are sticking halfway out of the water (rock bass love hanging out around these). As soon as the fly lands on the water, raise your rod arm over your head so that little or no fly line -- just leader -- is on the water. This brings you right up on the fish, almost like cane poling, except you are drifting a nymph.

Hope this helps . . .

A five-weight rod to after rock bass??
    The guy lost me right there!

I love going after rock bass but anything over a 3-wieght is overkill(and I use a 4wt myself....because that is the lightest fly rod I have).

Rock bass are fun...for the first 5 seconds. After that they roll over and play dead . I still love 'em though.
    Good fishing technique trumps all.....wish I had it.

Quote Originally Posted by ronP View Post

Hi. To clarify . . .

Stand in the crick with just your leader and maybe a foot or three of flyline hanging from the rod tip. Use light flip or roll casts into a current flowing toward rocks that are sticking halfway out of the water (rock bass love hanging out around these). As soon as the fly lands on the water, raise your rod arm over your head so that little or no fly line -- just leader -- is on the water. This brings you right up on the fish, almost like cane poling, except you are drifting a nymph.

Hope this helps . . .

Thanks for the info and I forgot to thank you for the article. I enjoyed it and hope to try for some rock bass soon.

Tom

+ Reply to Thread