+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Urban Bone Fish

Default Urban Bone Fish

I started looking at the river that runs by my house in the city last year as a break from the rising gas prices. Well this year I have looked even closer at it.
    It has taken some time to figure it out, but I have found a spot within walking distance that has put the biggest smile on my face and a bend in a custom built 9' 8 wt. Hardy Glass with a fighting butt.
    I have now been hitting it once a week for one hour with fantastic results.
    I did find out that my fave 6 lb P-LINE was not enough. I have been using a 5 1/2' furled leader with 3' of Mirage 3X (rated at 9.7 lb's ?!)
    Here are a few pictures:

here are the killer flies. From the RAINY'S CARP COLLECTION. Carp Hex and Popcorn ball:

Wow nice fish! And walking distance from home.
    How big do they get?
    All the best.
    Mike.

I am not sure. There is a few MONSTERS in there but this is the average. Got to weigh around 5 lbs or better.

That's awesome! That top picture...that is one FAT carp!!!

Those beasts are on my target list this year, but I haven't spent much time/effort towards that goal yet. Maybe when the rivers go down...
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

Recent cell phone call:

"Fire up the smoker, Maw, and call the kinfolk. I's bringin' home dinner fer y'all."
    Joe Valencic
    Life Member FFF
    Rod Builder in Chains

Default Urban Bone - great name

Way to go! I like to refer to them as Buglemouth Bones, but whichever, they are as fun as it gets. I was up fishing the Chagrin River near Cleveland last week. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to fish late enough or early enough to hit the peak times, but I stll had fun. I did land the feistiest Carp I have ever hooked. I've caught bigger fish and I've caught fish that have made longer runs, but I have never caught one that fought for so long. Only an 8 or 9-pounder, but it was literally 10 minutes before I ever saw the fish. Tomorrow I am heading to a place I got a tip on that is supposed to Carp heaven.

raw69, the reason your carp might not have run as far, is that it was in moving or shallow water. Although some folks have had different experiences, my pond/lake fish have always put me into the backing, while the river fish I've caught were very hesitant to get into the current. I've hooked some that could have finished me in a split second if they would have nosed into the current, but as soon as they felt that moving water, they came back into the pool/inlet I had hooked them in, and was still applying pressure from.

This might just be something I've been hitting on a regular basis, but if you're new carp spot is stillwater, I'd be interested in hearing if the fish ran further.

Fly Goddess, you may be upgrading your leader if you keep up the carp fishing. I've had two carp easily bust 8 lb test when they rolled on the fly. I use 15+ now, I don't want to lose any more big boys if it's the only fish I managed to sneak up on and fool after wading for 6 hours. But then again, I've only been doing it for the last couple of years, so I'm not 100% sure on how leader shy they are yet (so far, they dont' see too concerned by 20 lb test, but my rejections may be caused by the leader, but need some more experience with it still).

Blog Entries

Smile

Around here the carp live in the still water and the fast waters. I have fished for carp in the fast water of the Canal just below the dam on Okanagan lake. They will streak out into the heavy current and break you off every opportunity they get. They are certainly not afraid to hit the fast stuff perhaps its because that is their home turf. I believe a 5 lb carp could tow a ten pound trout around with ease. 15lb carp are not uncommon In either the Lake or the canal.
    For God's sake, Don't Quote me! I'm Probably making this crap up!

I know there's a following for the "sport" this fish offers. It's, however, just not my cuppa. I remember seeing the county DNR netting them in the "Chain" area here in Northern IL and there were hundreds of thousands? netted. I have no idea what they did with the catch .Perhaps rosebush fertilizer etc.
    Personally, and obviously so, I wouldn't ever target them.

Mark

Glad that you are having fun. I truly enjoy chasing them and they are my favorite target species. Everyone is different, but what does it for me, is the big pull and the multiple runs.

I also like the 3X, IF the fish are not in obstructions or pretty open water. One day I was fishing a flooded area and the main channel was on the other side of the brush line that normall boarders the bank. After 3 break offs due to the fish running for the main channel and through the tree/brush line, I went to 1X and did much better.

I have landed a 30" fish with a 3 wt and 6X tippet - it took 52 minutes and I said that I would never do that again. It wasn't good for my arms or the fish. I currently switch between 7 wt rods or an 8 wt.

Like you I am fishing them more this year than any other year due to gas prices and fish availability close to home. Have fun and post more pictures.

Rick

+ Reply to Thread