+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Foundland and Nova Scotia

Default New Foundland and Nova Scotia

My wife and I are heading to Gros Morne in New Foundland for our 30th anniversary. I would like to fish while I'm there but don't want to buy a guided trip. Don't care if its Salmon or Brook trout or whatever. Does anyone have any knowledge of how do find a place to fish that is not a major expense and a major hassel.

Any help would be appreciated.

jed

Quote Originally Posted by Jed View Post
    My wife and I are heading to Gros Morne in New Foundland for our 30th anniversary. I would like to fish while I'm there but don't want to buy a guided trip. Don't care if its Salmon or Brook trout or whatever. Does anyone have any knowledge of how do find a place to fish that is not a major expense and a major hassel.

Any help would be appreciated.

jed
    Sorry Bud, but your fishing will be limited (Newfoundland) as you need a guide or blood relative to fish more than 800m from a proper road (wood roads don't count) for non-salmon fishing and must be acompanied at all time for Salmon.

Here are the regs for 2008

http://www.nfl.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/publica...sGuide2008.pdf

You should be able to get a local guide for around 150-200 per day if you stay away from the outfitters.

Here are a couple contacts for you, they are sporting good stores that carry flyfishing gear in the gerneral area of the mighty Humber they might be able to get you lined up with guide services if you so choose.

Barnes Sporting Goods located in Corner Brook
    Good Buddy Sports located in Pasadena

Sorry Bud, but your fishing will be limited (Newfoundland) as you need a guide or blood relative to fish more than 800m from a proper road (wood roads don't count) for non-salmon fishing and must be acompanied at all time for Salmon.
    Wow. An Ontario friend spoke of how warm and welcoming the Maritimes would be; those regs don't seem too welcoming.

Newfoundland isn't part of the martimes............

Okay, we do need provincially mandated guides . . . what with not being able to find Canada on the map and all.

The Regs may not be , but you will find the people "down east" to be the friendliest and nicest you will meet (if you can understand them.....and if you treat them the same way.)

Jed, you won't have any problems with them.

You will love anytime you spend in Newfoundland or Nova Scotia. I am from Nova Scotia and my mothers family is from Newfoundland. NF has the best fishing but NS is also good and requires no guides. The people are very friendly in both. You can PM me if you want more specific information, especially about NS.

Thanks for the info. I'll put this in the mill and Reaction I will PM you for sure.
    jed

Default NFLD and Labrador

Newfoundland and Labrador are fantastic!

We were caught a little off guard by the requirement for a guide, although we did find some unscheduled streams (not regulated for salmon) along the road to Burgeo (not many).

But

the people and the place are fantastic! Friendly, helpful... when we first touched the shore, we asked about fishing at the government office, and the young man really didn't know an answer (given that a family lisence for trouting as about $15 for a season, it became obvious that it wasn't a usual request). We tthanked him for trying. The next morning at a campground he tracked us down (we didn't say where we were headed) and told us he'd found the information for us! People were like that all over.

Don't miss trying the pan fried cod or cod au gratin, melt in your mouth cod like you've never experienced!

And the music, the festivals... outdone only by the amazingly varied and spectacular scenery! We drove past a whale on a beach (I like to think it died of old age), four moose (from Maine, they say!), and saw a leaping Atlantic Salmon all in twenty minutes just North of Gros Morne.

The ferry across to Quebec/Labrador was a treat; a person could spend an entire vacation just on the first stretch of road to Red Bay there was so much to see.

Our best brook trout fishing was just north of there, road culverts, never another person in sight, btw.

We were moving fast, more interested in scouting the whole place than fishing, which turned out to be good. Their economy could use the boost... we'll fish with guides the next time.

Maybe a guided day for you as a Christmas present???

Kat

Default Agreed

Quote Originally Posted by Reactionfly View Post
    You will love anytime you spend in Newfoundland or Nova Scotia. I am from Nova Scotia and my mothers family is from Newfoundland. NF has the best fishing but NS is also good and requires no guides. The people are very friendly in both. You can PM me if you want more specific information, especially about NS.

This is a bit out of context:

I agree with this sentiment all the way!! Just watch out for the SKREECH it will get ya!!
    As a former commercial fisherman (ie username) I spent many days in several different Nova Scotian ports waiting for storms to blow out so we could get back to Brown's Bank or to George's Bank's and the folks are super there! During the swordfish season we would always save the hearts for the local ol timers that would hang out at the docks whenever the Gloucester boys came in. They loved the hearts and really appreciated them. The fact that we were from Gloucester also helped as the Halifax and Yarmouth areas have close ties to Gloucester through the fisheries. Great times!!
    Once in Yarmouth back around 1975 I went to get groceries for the next trip and spent about $1700.00 and as I checked out the gal asked me if I wanted my S&H green stamps? Well I thought, what the hell will I do with them? I looked up an elderly lady entered the store so I asked for my stamps and emptied out several of the stamp machines and gave them all to the sweet ol gal. She was beside herself, I do not think she could believe I was giving her all those stamps the employees all applauded us and had a great laugh. Later at the bar folks were still talking about it and buying us beers. Great Memories from Yarmouth, Halifax, Cape Breton, Campobello and all the other places I had the pleasure to visit. Should also mention Port La Tour I miss those freewheeling crazy times I spent in Novi.
    Generous and Kind they are!
    Dan

+ Reply to Thread