+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Black Bear

Default Black Bear

i've been recently given some black bear hair and was wondering if anyone had any patterns using it thanks and all suggestions are appreciated

WWFF

Deezel Guest

Lots of steelhead flies are tied with Black Bear for wings. It can be used on the Black Nosed Dace streamer. I'm sure it can be used wherever the fly's recipe calls for 'black' wings, as long as you can handle the bulk of the stubs.

Deezel

Blog Entries

How about the "Undertaker" by Warren Duncan it can be used for just about any fish.
    As in the Army, I have never had a bad day Fly fishing, some damn uncomfortable days but never a bad one!
    Everyone must believe in something and I believe in Fly Fishing and Fly Tying and believe I will
    Member of Project Healing Waters & Fly Fishing Canada, Project Healing Waters Canada

Blog Entries

Black Jack
    Salmon/steelhead hook in 2-6. The body is silver tinsel palmered with bright pink with a sparse wing of black bear hair.

Black Optic
    Mustad 7970 2-4... oval gold tinsel body with black bear wing and throat. head is a large crimp-on brass beaded with an eye painted on...

McLeod Ugly
    mustad 9672 2-6. Short red maribou tail with a black chenille body palmered with a grizzly hackle. A black bear hair wing tied sparse on top...

All are very good flies for big fish in big water...
    art

Lucky you!!!!

Other than the Undertaker (which is a great pattern I use alot), you could also try the Black Bear Green Butt or Black Bear Red Butt (two more of my favorites for Atlantic Salmon), Stoat's tail and then one I googled that looks neat to try, the Ginger Bonnie Bear for some trout fishing.

I use it for anything that requires a black hair wing. It acts a littel different in the water than say squirrel or bucktail.

Dwight

+ Reply to Thread