+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Need Help, Will be in Far NE Oklahoma

Default Need Help, Will be in Far NE Oklahoma

Hi All,

My wife and I and a friend and his wife will be in Grove Oklahoma the last weekend of this month. He and I are avid warmwater fly fishmen, and the ladies will probably shop and watch movies.

He and I are wanting to do some warm water fly fishing, but have no idea where to go and what to try.

Both of us like stream fishing a lot, and would love to be able to do some wading if possible. If lake fishing would be better, that's fine. I like to fish for panfish, up to and including walleye, and he loves to fish for small mouth if possible.

Any advise would be much appreaciated.

Thanks and regards,

Gandolf

Blog Entries

Gandolf,
    My favorite smallmouth stream is just a little east of Grove. It is the Elk River in SW Missouri. The best way to fish it is to rent a canoe and do a 3 mile float. I use the canoe to get from one area to the next, then get out and wade to fish. Here is a link to the canoe outfitter that I use http://www.cowskincanoe.com/index.html
    A 3 mile float doesn't sound like much, but if you fish it right it will take 6-8 hrs. Their 10 mile float is too much for 1 day if you are fishing. There are also numerous streams that feed Grand Lake O' The Cherokees that should have some good white bass and crappie fishing at that time. The smallmouth fishing may be a little iffy this early in the year. I usually wait till late May or early June when the water warms a little.
    Steve
    "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went"
    Will Rogers

Default Re

Lots of water still in that part of the world maybe it will be down when your here on your trip.

Blog Entries

Oh my, Grove is right there on Grand Lake O The Cherokees! Hopefully your problem will not be finding a place but rather settling on which place of many to fish.

Check out the fishing shops for good spots as well.

And don't forget the camera, we love us some photos.

+ Reply to Thread