+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Newbie questions

Default Newbie questions

Hello all. I was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction with 2rod and reel set ups. The first would be for trout fishing in the streams and lakes here in NJ. Would I be better off getting a 4 wt? The second would be for salt water fishing for stripers, blues, and weakfish. Thank you for all your input......Ray

Rod selection is a very personal thing, but for trout fishing the basic set up is a 9 ft 5wt. However, if you were doing most of your fishing on small mountain streams then a shorter, lighter rod would be more practical. If you were going to be chucking big streamers on a sink tip on the upper Delaware, then a 6 or 7 wt would be better.

Most of the guys I know who fly fish in the salt back east, the Jersey shore and Martha's Vineyard, use a 9ft 9 or 10 wt.

Be warned, fly rods are like potato chips: Bet you can't have just one, or two.

Quote Originally Posted by flybop View Post
    Be warned, fly rods are like potato chips: Bet you can't have just one, or two.
    I'm not sure that wiser words about flyfishing have ever been spoken...
    Do not tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish. ~ Mark Twain

jcntheriver Guest

Default rods for new jersey

hey doc, I live in jersey also and just so happen I picked up a brand new rod &reel setup Temple fork`s 3 weight 7' 9" 4 pcs. Lefty Kreh Finesse with a Gloomis 3/4 eastfork reel What an outfit. I fish the Flatbrook alot it great for those small patches and strong enough to cast across the river on a roll cast. Jeff

P.S. go to tight lines fly fishing in pine brook on rt.46 west, they have them there tell John or andrew, Jeffro sent ya!
    Last edited by jcntheriver; 04-11-2008 at 03:37 AM.

I started fly fishing last June, since then I have bought 8 rods and 10 reels. Whatever you pick just remember it isn't your last rod, but just this rod, right now.

For spring creeks in my area of Wisconsin, I love the 3 or 4 wt rods. Many who are drawn to fly fishing in the first place are sporting types to begin with, in other words they enjoy a little challenge. Yes, you can catch brook trout on a 6 wt, but it is so much more fun for me to do it on a 3 wt or a 4 wt. I have also gained a real liking for longer rods even in the light wts. A 9' 3wt has so much more going for it in my opinion that the same rod in a 7 1/2 version. It's easier to mend line, when the vegetation gets tall it is easier to cast over it on the small streams that I fish. The only place that I would like a short rod is fishing under a bridge, but I can side arm cast with the best of them so it is longer rods for me. Sorry that I am not qualified to recomend something for the salt. That would be a long way from home for me.

Have fun shoping.

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by Clay View Post
    I started fly fishing last June, since then I have bought 8 rods and 10 reels. Rick
    Uuuuhhhhh... whoa!
    Tim

A 3 or 4wt rod is a great all round trout rod for streams and rivers that produce average 15-22 inch fish, but if you're chucking to fish that are much bigger, then you'll definately be better served with a 5 or 6wt.

As for the salt, you almost can't go wrong with a 9wt. You'll also have to get a decent quality reel for the occasional fish that screams the line off of your backing. It'll be on fish like that that you'll appreciate spending a little more money on a reel with a smooth drag.

Good luck,
    TT.

Thank you all for posting. Its nice to have so many people post on what they like to use in fresh and salt. I am going to hit a fly shop in North Jersey next week for a casting lesson and take it from there. Thanks again......Ray

Quote Originally Posted by NJ DOC View Post
    Thank you all for posting. Its nice to have so many people post on what they like to use in fresh and salt. I am going to hit a fly shop in North Jersey next week for a casting lesson and take it from there. Thanks again......Ray

Sounds like you are on the right track. Let us know how things work out for you.

Welcome to an obsession.

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderthumbs View Post
    A 3 or 4wt rod is a great all round trout rod for streams and rivers that produce average 15-22 inch fish.....
    Hmmm, I would love to visit some of your streams that produce average 15-22 inch fish.

+ Reply to Thread