+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cleaning fish??????

Default Cleaning fish??????

Does anyone remember how to clean a trout ???

Slit the belly,remove the gills and clean out the inside--clean out the blood along the back bone rinse, wrap in foil and lay on the hot coals for a couple minutes each side. My wife makes me remove the heads. Brookies are the best Bill

Default I sure do.

Knife in the a-hole. Slit the belly up to the gills. Knife in sideways through the gills to seperate them from the body. Put you finger in the gills and pull out all of the guts. Thumbnail along the spine to remove all the blood. Rinse in water.

Put on grill/fire wrapped in foil with butter and seasonings of choice.

Eat all but the bones and head. The skin isn't that tasty, but really good for you.
    Fishing with bait is like swearing in church.

Do a search on YouTube and you can find a couple different variations of this... (pardon the dorks, but you'll get the basic idea)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aC8MdUBd5Ek

My Uncle taught me an easy way of removing the gills & guts, by making a small slit below the bottom of the mouth and pulling down and that takes care of it! (Of course I've never actually done this!)
    Doug
    Enjoying the joys of others and suffering with them- these are the best guides for man. A.E.

Quote Originally Posted by DShock View Post
    My Uncle taught me an easy way of removing the gills & guts, by making a small slit below the bottom of the mouth and pulling down and that takes care of it! (Of course I've never actually done this!)
    Doug

I ain't your UNCLE LOL, but that is what I do. But you do have to slit the belly open and run your thumb down the blood line.

Quote Originally Posted by Fly Goddess View Post
    I ain't your UNCLE LOL, but that is what I do. But you do have to slit the belly open and run your thumb down the blood line.
    Joni,
    I'm sorry I forgot! You ONLY slit the belly up to a quarter inch from the mouth, that little space is important when pulling the gills and guts.
    Does that sound right?
    Doug
    Enjoying the joys of others and suffering with them- these are the best guides for man. A.E.

I do like Doug says it hasn't ever done (lol) and like Slate Drake says he does. However I add one quick step to start with. Hold the fish upside down and cut off the fin that is just behind the anus. Do this by starting the cut to the rear of the fish and ending the cut AFTER you have removed the fin as well as the anus. By doing this quick extra step you will find it is a lot easier to remove the blood & gunk that is along the back of the trout.

Good Luck

Tim

Blog Entries

If you are on a creek and it is full of stunted trout and it is legal and you have a bunch of little 4 - 6 inchers then don't even clean, just dip in flour and then into a hot cast iron skillet and when crispy put on a paper towel and eat head first, and enjoy.

we used to have streams like that in NB, nothing but the tinniest brookies then things changed and I grew up and now don't keep any thing but stockers from the local ponds..

Which you have been told how to clean better then I would be able to tell you..
    As in the Army, I have never had a bad day Fly fishing, some damn uncomfortable days but never a bad one!
    Everyone must believe in something and I believe in Fly Fishing and Fly Tying and believe I will
    Member of Project Healing Waters & Fly Fishing Canada, Project Healing Waters Canada

Soap and water?

You ain't gonna EAT that slimy thing, are ya'???

Buddy
    It Just Doesn't Matter....

+ Reply to Thread