+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Chicken Feed

Default Chicken Feed

Chicken feed

Our price for our feed was $15.18 per C one year ago. This was an increase from $13.18 per C. November 2007.
    During this past year we have had it increase two more times. Went up to$19.18 per C, then up to $23.18 in November 2007.

I had this feed formulated by a now retired head Vet from Purina Mills Labs 11 years ago. Designed to produce Feathers, not eggs or meat. I have changed this formula several times to make it better. It is the best feed for my use I feel.

We have never increased our hackle prices. It has been the same 11 years ago as it is presently. What to do? I sure would like some feed back (no pun intended) from my customers.

This feed produces the best top quality hackle for us. Of course we see the fuel prices today costs me more to go to my mill and transport it to the Ranch or have them deliver it, 3 tons at a time and that cost has gone out of site also.

The other thread about costs sugests our electricity has also gone up. The lights in the barn, incubator and hatcher electricity usage is also up. It has big time I assure you.

Perhaps the answer is to produce fewer birds. We have already cut back production. May have to cut more.
    As many of you know we do breed for colors no one else breed for. Some of these breedings take several generations to produce. This adds to the numbers, space and the one thing we do not talk about, labor.

For Liz & I it is a labor of love. I?m glad I am retired. We do not want to destroy this flock. It is an option we are not willing to think about yet.

I started this thread because I do not like to see another thread h-jacked.

You asked and I am looking foreword to input from all of you.

Denny

Blog Entries

Smile Increased costs

Denny,

As far as I am concerned, as your costs go up you have to adjust the price of your product. All the rest of the free enterprise system does it, why not you?

In the past decade prices for almost all of the items that we fly fishers use have gone up. It is to be expected.

You can reduce your production but that is a vicious trap to fall into, because with reduced production you have less product, hence the costs have to be divided into that reduced product, increasing costs per item and on and on.

Just figure out your costs and make a fair adjustment in price, I suspect most fly fishers would agree with that.

Larry --- sagefisher---
    Organizations and clubs I belong to:

Fly Fishers International Life Member
    FFI 1000 Stewards member
    FFI Presidents Club
    FFI Fly Tying Group Life Member

Washington State Council FFI
    V.P. Membership

Alpine Fly Fishers Club
    President & Newsletter Editor--The Dead Drift

North Idaho Fly Casters club

Default This situation is for the birds.....

This is easy for me, because I'm not in the business nor do I tie that much but it seems to be a no-brainer but I'm not trying to raise any hackles. Your costs for just your feed (I'm guessing your number one cost) have increased by 75%+. When you established your business 11 years ago you established what you thought was a fair and reasonable price for your product and obviously based on the compliments from others about your hackles posted on this web site, your customers agree. It is always difficult to raise prices during inflationary times but it's my guess that your customer base would rather pay extra for your legendary product-line of hackles than see those same hackles fly the coop....

A couple of suggestions as these issues ponder in your head... You've put a lot of time and effort into your breeding program. Have you thought about somehow bringing others along?--somebody to carry on the fine art of raising hackles. So many on this site enjoy engaging in the construction of their own gear maybe some would consider raising a few hobby birds as well. You might be able to keep some of your lines going that way and reduce your cost. Finally, you might consider what so many of the organic farmers do--open up a subscription service whereby interested parties could "adopt" one of your hackle factories--of course the adoption fees would be set to cover your costs and would be determined by fluctuating costs like feed... You could send out little adoption papers over the net with pictures of their adopted bird....Good luck and I must say that it speaks well for you that this issue of raising prices is causing such a dilemma.

BW

Blog Entries

Thumbs up

Its probably not the wisest thing to say to someone you buy stuff from but then I am not the smartest guy on the block. So here goes my 2cents.
    I have always wondered how you are able to sell your birds for so little. They are the best in quality and the lowest in price. I'd not be worried if the price went up a bit to meet and beat inflation.

If you buy a loaf of bread in a supermarket you spend a buck and you get what you pay for . If you buy a specialty loaf in a delicatesson you expect to pay a lot more because you know the quality is better and more effort went into the making. Its the same with your chickens. I expect to pay a little more for the higher quality product. It is a joy to tie with conranch hackle and a chore to tie with some of the other stuff out there . Your prices are a bit to low my friend, raise them. Wouldn't bother me a bit. I will still impulse buy every time I see that box of pelts you always bring to the fish-ins. I try not to go over and look but never can resist a bargain.

PS Also have you considered the fact that your product is now much better quality now than it was 11 years ago as you have steadily improved it? Better quality equals better worth in the market place.
    Last edited by Gnu Bee Flyer; 01-27-2008 at 06:59 PM.
    For God's sake, Don't Quote me! I'm Probably making this crap up!

Denny,

pretty much a no-brainer, buddy. Selling these fine feathers shouldn't cost you money. Raise your prices to what you think reflects the costs involved. Just good business. Based on the quality of your feathers alone, I doubt you'd be showing a loss of customers.

Just my .02 worth.

REE

Blog Entries

Thumbs up

Denny, raise your prices to what it takes to stay at a reasonable profit. I understand your birds are a labor of love. It would be a shame for all that genetic material, and your knowledge of it to go to waste.

Eric

Thumbs up

Denny, RW here

I go along with what REE said. I wouldn't think twice about raising your prices. The quality of your product speaks for itself. On top of that you have a lot of loyal customers. Nobody is going to fault you for keeping pace with inflation.

Later, RW

I fully agree! Raise your prices! You, too, need a comfortable profit.
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

NEVER,,, NEVER,,, NEVER,,, cut quality. If the quality stays up,,, they will pay for it. Raise your prices to keep in line with the rising costs of production.

Blog Entries

I agree with all that has been stated.

But Plse just don't pull an oil company !

Make a multi billion dollar profit, and then tell us you are hurting!

HA HA I completely know that that is not the case.

Raise the prise of the hackle to were you are again comfortable and loving what you are doing, never never sacrifice the quality, that is a Wal-Mart trick, and bad marketing strategy.

Thanks for the hackles, your product has made our hobby enjoyable.
    As in the Army, I have never had a bad day Fly fishing, some damn uncomfortable days but never a bad one!
    Everyone must believe in something and I believe in Fly Fishing and Fly Tying and believe I will
    Member of Project Healing Waters & Fly Fishing Canada, Project Healing Waters Canada

+ Reply to Thread