+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Knife Sharpening

1. Default Knife Sharpening

I have never had the patience to sharpen my knives by using a stone. Grinding wheels seem to damage the knives. Recently I clamped my belt sander upside down on the work table, locked it in the on position and used it to sharpen knives. It worked great and was real easy to do.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by slough foot View Post
    I have never had the patience to sharpen my knives by using a stone. Grinding wheels seem to damage the knives. Recently I clamped my belt sander upside down on the work table, locked it in the on position and used it to sharpen knives. It worked great and was real easy to do.
    This works for me.
    finish them off with the bottom of a ceramic tea cup, a couple of swipes and they are done and it will "put the edge back on if they need a touch up.
    As in the Army, I have never had a bad day Fly fishing, some damn uncomfortable days but never a bad one!
    Everyone must believe in something and I believe in Fly Fishing and Fly Tying and believe I will
    Member of Project Healing Waters & Fly Fishing Canada, Project Healing Waters Canada

I learned to sharpen knives using a wet stone from my Dad. There is a little knack to it and I'm sure if someone gave you a first hand, live demonstartion you would pick up the knack of it without any problem. In the meantime, I keep one of those plastic handled shapeners in the kitchen drawer for sweetie so she can keep her kitchen knives sharpe and that she does! It's yellow in color, the nameon the side of it is "Smith's" and I bought it down at the local hardware store. Does as good as I can do with the wet stone!

Dale

"It's yellow in color, the nameon the side of it is "Smith's" and I bought it down at the local hardware store. Does as good as I can do with the wet stone!"

Yep...less than $5 at Wal-Mart....quick and easy....doesn't do a perfect job but good enough for government work.

slough foot; I'm curious........ what grade/grit, paper do you use on your belt sander for your sharpening? (I'd guess, a grade of emery paper?)

I had used an oil stone, (Arkansas stone), for years, until my steadiness and grip "gave out", recently and then I bought a "Firestone" electric sharpener.
    Single slot, opposing wheels, hollow ground edge, when done. Since using it, I've found out what a "real razor's edge" truly is, on all the knives I own... from kitchen to fillet blades. Never have been able to "stone sharpen" a knife as SHARP as the Firestone can make an edge.
    Saint Paul-"The Highly Confused"
    You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never know how soon it will be too late.
    -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

A little tip on knife sharpening. Pocket knives should be honed at a 30 degree angle so it will hold it's edge longer. Kitchen/filet knives should be honed at a 25 - 20 degree angle and hobby knives/blades need a 17 degree angle.
    I have a "Lansky" sharpening set that lets you maintain these angles. A medium Arkansas stone is great for pocket knives as it will give you a very fine serated edge that cuts just about anything quickly.
    Of course it all depends on the quality of the steel.

Jack, it's so obvious you're a true and valued member of The NBOF!
    You've brought an entirely new angle, to a higher degree of knife sharpening! Of course, we all know, you're a man that is alway on the cutting edge of all the latest things.

I also, used a Lansky system, for quite a few years and you're right.............. they're great sharpeners. With the table mounted clamp pedestal to hold the knife and to guide the stone rods at the exact, precise, angle they're about the best and most accurate, manual sharpeners out there.
    Saint Paul-"The Highly Confused"
    You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never know how soon it will be too late.
    -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

I got my first pocket knife when I was 10. When I asked Dad to resharpen it for me, he gave me a medium Carborundum Whetrock, and told me I could have it as sharp as I could make it. Smart man!!
    I prefer a medium Arkansas for really dull knives, and finish with either a hard Arkansas or a Ceramic stone. I have a ceramic insulator that a buddy gave me that I'm using now. It has curved edges that work real well on the serrated blades.
    I always use either honing oil, light machine oil, or spit on a rock to help keep the pores open.
    I've tried the diamond-on-steel "stones" and didn't like them. To hard to get a smooth stroke on.

Kirk

Blog Entries

I have a small bench belt sander that has a 1 inch wide belt in the verticle postiton. Costs about $65.00 . For sharpening knives I use the very finest grit available and I use an old worn out sanding belt not a new belt. It puts the sharpest edge on my wifes chefs knives. ( She is a certified red seal chef ) and yes I know that red seals are a protected species. lol.

PS you keep the knife moving back and forth so that heat does not build up and take the temper out of the edge. It does not hurt to spray a bit of water on the sanding belt to keep the heat down either.
    For God's sake, Don't Quote me! I'm Probably making this crap up!

Quote Originally Posted by flybinder View Post
    slough foot; I'm curious........ what grade/grit, paper do you use on your belt sander for your sharpening? (I'd guess, a grade of emery paper?)

I had used an oil stone, (Arkansas stone), for years, until my steadiness and grip "gave out", recently and then I bought a "Firestone" electric sharpener.
    Single slot, opposing wheels, hollow ground edge, when done. Since using it, I've found out what a "real razor's edge" truly is, on all the knives I own... from kitchen to fillet blades. Never have been able to "stone sharpen" a knife as SHARP as the Firestone can make an edge.
    Like Flybender I also use the Firestone Electric. Works great.

Tim

+ Reply to Thread