+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is minimum size of pond for good fishing?

Default What is minimum size of pond for good fishing?

A bass fishing friend of mine is looking to buy land with a pond. The one he is looking at now has a pond of about 5-6 acres, I think.

What would be the smallest size pond that could support good Largemouth, Crappie and Bluegill fishing? 1 acre? 2? maybe 5 acres???

Say a pond that looks like this? (This pond is only a hypothetical pond, of course. Any resemblance to an actual pond is a mere coincidence. The image is only for instructional purposes only.)

I would contact your state Fish and Wildlife Div. I am certain that they would be able to tell you.

I have a friend with a lake 3/4 of an acre and he has bass but I am certain he did not do any homework as to what and how many his lake would support.

Respectfully,
    Sean
    Last edited by Lake Erie High Ball; 01-22-2008 at 05:01 PM.
    Thanks Old Man GO IRISH!

Default Management not Size

Some if the best ponds where I live are 1/2 acre and less. I had a place myself a few years back the had a 1/10 acre pond that I managed myself and had more fish in it than I could ever think about catching.

I have taken 5# plus bass out of 1/2 acre ponds as well as many good bluegills. Have caught crappie in ponds smaller than 5 acres. I would agree though, talk to state people and they could advise as to optimal management of a pond.

Most of the ponds I fish are smaller than that. They way yu maange the number of fish taken out and the fertility of the pond are two things that will effect the fishing alot.

Rick

I agree with the above posts. I fish a handful of 1/3 and 1/2 acre ponds that produce 8-10 inch gills and 3-4# bass. Two of which are managed properly and you can tell it makes a difference.

I had to look again to make sure Mashtom doesn't live near me! You can find some real "small" gems out there. I have taken gills & redear up to 11" out of 2 small ponds....both of which yield 9 inchers with surprising regularity. Also dandy bass, both in size & numbers. As Rick said, pond management & fertility are key.
    Mike
    FAOL..All about caring, sharing, & good friends!!

First I'd like to welcome Doublewide aboard. New guys have to make the coffee and be sure and wipe your feet!
    Pay attention guy's!!

I do not know what the minimum size is for a good fishable pond - the other folks have offered some good advice.

There are several small ponds, and some stocked storm-water retention ponds within several minutes drive of my house. They are all good fishing, bass, crappie, catfish, bowfin, pickerel -and all caught on a fly.

My goal is to catch that darned big Koi I have seen swimming around in a local pond - a storm-water retention pond.

Blog Entries

Thumbs up

That hypothetical pond looks good, how ever there is a river that looks like it is connected to the pond by an old semi dried channel, if I owned that pond I would double make sure that any thing I put in it would not escape,and that the proper authority's are ok with what I put in it, if they do escape than there may be trouble with native fish populations in the river...

Basically cover all your bases and you will have a great fishery....
    As in the Army, I have never had a bad day Fly fishing, some damn uncomfortable days but never a bad one!
    Everyone must believe in something and I believe in Fly Fishing and Fly Tying and believe I will
    Member of Project Healing Waters & Fly Fishing Canada, Project Healing Waters Canada

+ Reply to Thread