+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fishing Yellowstone with a Child

Default Fishing Yellowstone with a Child

We're hitting Yellowstone the first week in June.

I would like to take my three year old daughter on short hike / fishing excursion. She has about a half hour attention span, so we need numbers of small fish, climb some small rocks, turn a few over to check out the bugs. I stumbled across few pretty creeks that fit this description perfectly when we were in Rocky Mtn Nat'l park a few years ago (Fall River, St. Vrain). Some nice trails right alongside the streams that would provide perfect access for kids

I apologize for asking outright. If it was just me, I'd do the research and exploration on my own. I'll hit a couple of fly shops while I'm out there as well (we'll probably be coming in through West Yellowstone). We're staying at the Canyon Lodge.

Thanks in advance.

Thumbs up

jsalkas,

Fishing in the park can be difficult if you aren't familiar with the area, regulations, etc. I'd suggest a call to any of the West Yellowstone fly shops. The ones that come to mind are...Bob Jacklin's, Bud Lilly's, or Arrick's. All will be able to help you. Good luck and Best Regards...
    Exploring the waters of western Montana...

A few years ago when we fished Yellowstone, we found a little park right where the Nez Pierce enters the Firehole River. There's a nice rocky hill for climbing, a great gentle stream for lots of little Brookies, a picnic table for lunch, all in all pretty kewl! Challenging enough for a grown up, gentle enough for a small child. Just watch out for buffalos. (Darn things think they own the place!!)
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

Only fished there one time. But Slough Creek in the North east part of the park was easy to get to.

Rick

Default Y.Stone

Slough and Soda Butte are right by the road in the NE corner of the park, but I'm not sure about the regs. Might try the Gardner around Sheepeater Cliffs, lots of small brookies in that creek and I think kids can fish with worms. Should have enough for lunch in a half hour or so. Cheers.

There are a few places set aside where children can use bait. They are relatively easy to get to and a couple are full of brookies. They are: Gardiner River, Obsidian, Indian, and Panther creeks, and Joffe Lake: Children 11 years of age or younger may fish with worms as bait.

Your daughter will not need to have a permit, but of course you will. These streams are close to Mammoth. Just double check to make sure that nothing has changed when you get to the Park. Have fun, and catch some brookies!

Blog Entries

Hi If you are going there to get your daughter to fish then leave your fly rod home, and take hers and make it her day, only fish when she wants and climb when she wants to climb etc... that way you both will have a day to remember forever...
    Last edited by flyfishfairwx; 01-15-2008 at 07:44 PM. Reason: Sppellinnng
    As in the Army, I have never had a bad day Fly fishing, some damn uncomfortable days but never a bad one!
    Everyone must believe in something and I believe in Fly Fishing and Fly Tying and believe I will
    Member of Project Healing Waters & Fly Fishing Canada, Project Healing Waters Canada

The spot that Betty mentioned where the Nez Perce runs down to the Firehole really is a neat place and would be great for a small child. IF the buffalo aren't in there.

Another place to check out is the Gibbon above the falls, about half way between Madison Junction ( 14 miles from West Yellowstone ) and Norris. I haven't fished it, but there is a nice meadow section that is supposed to be full of brookies. Might even pick up some grayling or small browns.

You can get all the info you need at www.nps.gov in the Plan your visit and Things to do sections ( just click on Wyoming and then click on YNP ).

Depending on how much planning you want to do, check out www.Yellowstoneflyfishing.com . Lots of good info, although way too much for a three year old !

Enjoy.

John
    The fish are always right.

Blog Entries

Obsidian Creek has access near the road and is full of small, very willing brookies. The Gardner River is another good choice for easy access and willing fish.
    Steve
    "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went"
    Will Rogers

I'd also say the Gardner, but mainly the Upper Gardner. Lots and lots of easy brookies and it follows the road. Any ol' dry fly would probably work.

+ Reply to Thread