+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Copper John help

Cool Copper John help

In By Email:

Re: the Copper John nymph, every time I start winding the copper wire, the biots twist with it. It doesn't seem to matter how tightly they're bound to the shank. Any tips on preventing this?

Thanks,

Cody

Blog Entries

Feels weird giving advise on fly tying usually getting it.

But when I start to wind the copper I pull straight up then over then straight down, no sideways pressure or pulling, and the tail biots do not move.

Hope it helps but seams to easy..
    As in the Army, I have never had a bad day Fly fishing, some damn uncomfortable days but never a bad one!
    Everyone must believe in something and I believe in Fly Fishing and Fly Tying and believe I will
    Member of Project Healing Waters & Fly Fishing Canada, Project Healing Waters Canada

Another couple of things you could do ...... make sure you are covering the hook with a thread base. When you get the tails tied in, apply some zap-a-gap or superglue to the area where the tails are tied to the hook. Let it dry. They should not twist anymore.

Good luck.

Anytime, I use biots, in a "close to hook shank" situation, I lay down a single thread wrap, FIRST, then a quick shot of Zap-A-Gap, on top of the biot's tie in point. Also, as suggested, wisely, when wrapping wire, wrap "up and down", never sideways and your wraps will not only look tighter and closer together, but materials won't shift around on you!
    My dollar's worth, less .98.

Hey, QQuals! We must have been typing at the same time!?
    Saint Paul-"The Highly Confused"
    You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never know how soon it will be too late.
    -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Blog Entries

I put a very small ball of dubbing on the end of the shank before tying in the biots. It splays them outwards and the biots can grip the dubbing. Never had an issue with twisting.

Also might try tying them in with more thread pressure, or securing one on one side first.. then secure the other on the other side that way each biot has a thread base to grip.
    Chris
    "There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore like an idiot."-Steven Wright
    http://fishiesonthefly.blogspot.com/

Sounds like maybe you are starting the wire wraps behind the tie in point of the biots. Try starting the wire wraps just at or ahead of the biot tie in point ????
    The fish are always right.

Thumbs up

In tying Prince nymphs I cement the two biots together as a subassembly. Could this help here also?

LF

Tie in the tail biots close to the bead and wrap back to the bend covering the biots. Tie the wire in on the underside of the hook shank, those wraps will help secure the biots as well. Use a smaller size soft copper wire...
    Harry Mason
    www.troutflies.com

tie in the copper wire after you have already secured in the biots.

Make sure you have a good thread base prior to securing the biots. I'll then tie in the biots all the way up to the lead weight, as this helps lay down the underbody and create a better taper. I've never had a problem with the biots moving when doing it this way.

+ Reply to Thread