+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Central Pennsylvania wet and streamer patterns

Default Central Pennsylvania wet and streamer patterns

Ok, so here is my situation: I do fairly well with streamers but I tend to fish only Shenk's White and Clouser Foxy minnows.

What I'm looking for is other streamer patterns and wet fly patterns that you have confidence in on these hard fished waters.

I've been looking at Thunder Creek style patterns, matuka style, and they all have caught my attention.

However, I also want to venture into wet fly fishing (flymphs especially).

Does anyone have any patterns they wish to share (size, color, etc)? I'm looking to build a box of winter ties to try this spring and summer but there are soooo many patterns out there that I'd like to have a list of "time tested trout approved" patterns to try.

Oh, and I'd also like comments about specific woolly bugger patterns for central PA waters. I can catch smallies, bass, bluegill on the WB, but I can't catch a cold in trout waters.
    "Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." John Wayne.

"When you know, to know that you know, and when you do not know, to know that you do not know - that is true knowledge..." Charlie Chan (author Earl Derr Biggers ...Behind That Curtain 192.

On the left side of the FAOL home page, click on Fly Tying and then in the "search" window, type in "Flymph" and there is a pattern for the Olive Flymph that is a "Fly of the Week" and is a good one. I tie it in sizes 10 and 12. There will be a step-by-step with pictures, tying instructions.

Hope this helps
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

Sorry, but, I just thought of another fly pattern that has been a very good fly for me on trout that you might want to try.

In the Search window type in "Reversed Spider" and about 4 lines down there will be a Fly of the Week for a Reversed Spider that is a steelhead pattern. I have downsized that pattern and it has been a great trout fly here in several rivers.

Just follow the tying instructions with the following changes:

I use a #10 and 12 hook

I substitute some herls from a pheasant tail for the tail material

I substitute dark olive chenille for the body material

I substitute brown hen back feather for the collar

I even tie some with about 3 wraps of lead under the body for additional weight.

The front collar tied in reverse really gives a lot of movement to the fly. I usually fish it up, across and down on a dead drift and maybe throw in a couple short strips during the drift.

Give this pattern a try and hopefully it will produce for you as well as it has for me.
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

I would try Mickie Finn:

http://www.flyanglersonline.com/flyt...21901fotw.html

and Raibow Trout: yup it's a fly you can find it at Dicks Sporting Good.

Also Randal Kaufman"s rhyacophila emerger is very effective pattern in PA waters.
    Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans. - John Lennon

Haven't fished anywhere in the east, only in Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Utah.

I was thinking this morning about posting a streamer that I have used for the past year with some notable success for trout. A little later in the day, check back for it on this forum.

I don't know how this streamer would do in your waters, but would be very interested in how it does, if you do decide to use it, and if it works for other species.

For wet flies, consider a soft hackle pheasant tail. It is one of my favorites - usually in a size 16 or 18. Start with the standard pheasant tail, unweighted. After tying a peacock herl thorax area, do a sparse to medium soft hackle of partridge, brahma hen, etc. Fish it down and across and let it swing. I also like to fish this trailing off a small dry with an up and across, dead drift presentation. At the end of the drift, let it swing and then hang for a few seconds and then give it a couple short strips before picking up for the next cast.

Good luck.
    The fish are always right.

Martin Jr.,

Try a Semi Seal leech.

It was, I think, a FOTW here some time back.

Primarily a western pattern (developed in Az.), but so far I've caught everything that swims with it, and I doubt that the trout where you are have seen it.

Not a 'traditional' streamer, but works well for fishing.

Buddy
    It Just Doesn't Matter....

Thanks for the ideas.

That PT wet has my attention. Going to tie some up tonight to see how they look. Sounds just "fishy" enough.

Post the streamer and I'll give it a try...
    "Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." John Wayne.

"When you know, to know that you know, and when you do not know, to know that you do not know - that is true knowledge..." Charlie Chan (author Earl Derr Biggers ...Behind That Curtain 192.

Martin's Kid:

As far as Woolly Bugger colors go; all I use EVERYWHERE in PA is either an all olive version consisting of olive dyed grizzly marabou for the tail with a few strands of olive Crystal flash mixed in; olive with lime/black Sparkle Chenille made by Hairline for the body and olive dyed grizzly for the hackle. I tie them with a black or gold bead and they work great. After that it is all black or combos of olive and black.

I also have done well with the old standby; the Grey Ghost.

SoM,

Go to main page,Click Sponsors, Scroll down to Mustad (4th one down on right hand side if I'm not mistaken).
    Click the Mustad Fly of the Month, Scroll to bottom of the page to the list of previous Flies of the month list. And finially...Click on JP's Minnow, Make list of all need material's...If you don't have'um all..Obtain them...and tye away!!!

Also, A fav. of mine..Don't know of any place you can buy'um,So...

Hook: Mustad 3366 whatever size ya like.
    Thread: Tan 6/0 will do.
    Eye's:Silver Bead Chain, I use med.ish
    Body: Pearl Tinsel, Wrap back then forward.
    Belly wing: 6 strand's of either Flashabou Accent or midge Krystal Flash,In Pearlesant, Topped with White bucktail (Sparse 8 to 10 fiber's) Fly swims hook point up..keep this in mind.
    Back wing: Natural Brown Bucktail, 20 to 25 strand's.

Tye it Clouser style, I'll also sometimes add an over wing of two furnace cape feathers (Cheap Dark Domestic cape)tied concave sides together and envelopeing the Brown Bucktail, Back wing...This fly produces very well for me on the penn's in both form's. As does my favorite wet fly, The Dark Cahill...The Hare's Ear Nymph,tied in the round, also should not be over looked!

PM your snail mail, and I'll get a pair of another Streamer-ish pattern out to you..I'd give the recipe, But You'd have trouble getting one of the componet's...this way you'll know what to look for should you find yourself needing more of them...
    Last edited by billknepp; 01-09-2008 at 03:17 AM.
    Wish ya great fishing,Bill

Well i'm not exactly what type of wet flies you are looking for but with sulfurs coming up this spring i would deff tie some sz 14 an 16 yellow-orangish bodied softackles with a partrigde collar, they are my main pattern throughtout may, i would also try some hairs ear softackles sz 12 an 14 with hairears dubbed body ribbed with silver wire and partrigde collar with a orange thread head for a little hot spot, and another good one is a peacok softhackle sz 12 an 14 with a peacok body an darker partridge for the collar. if u need something PM me i can try an get u pictures but my camera isnt too good, tight lines, kyle

+ Reply to Thread