+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cell Phones & Traffic (Not ff)

Default Cell Phones & Traffic (Not ff)

I thought you might be interested in this Article ; http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20080102/...nes_traffic_dc
    Laws are being passed outlawing Text Messaging and talking on Cell Phones while driving.
    What do you think about this issue?
    Doug
    Enjoying the joys of others and suffering with them- these are the best guides for man. A.E.

Anderson, South Carolina (Northwest corner of SC) USA

I do some of my best FAOL posts while driving down I-85 in rush hour traffic------CRASH! Just kidding. My absolute pet peeve is a single individual driving a gas hog SUV in the fast lane doing fifteen miles per hour under the speed limit while talking or worse yet text messaging on a cell phone. Breath deeply--------must relax! 8T

It's really a sad day when the government must outlaw STUPIDITY!
    Let No One Walk Alone
    <*)))))><{----------}><((((*>

This is a "sore" spot for me and gets "under my skin" quickly! When you are behind the wheel of a piece of equipment weighing in around 1 ton, you should not be distracted by talking on the phone, sending/reading a text messge or looking at your GPS unit. An accident on our crowded highways happens in a split second and you need to be alert to what is going on around you. You should have both hands on the steering wheel and understand that the equipment you are operating can kill in that split second.

Sorry for the rant...

Warren

In my opinion, the first thing that is ignored is signaling. I notice the Driver is head down looking into the steering wheel, not looking around like a normal person. Thank heaven I am a defensive driver! I respect the Drivers that pull over to talk.
    Doug
    Enjoying the joys of others and suffering with them- these are the best guides for man. A.E.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PanFisher View Post
    It's really a sad day when the government must outlaw STUPIDITY!
    Well said Panfisher
    For God's sake, Don't Quote me! I'm Probably making this crap up!

It is very seriously illegal here - big fines for using a call phone or texting while driving, I think way over $100 on the spot!

If my memory serves me correctly the straw that broke the camels back in this state, was a group of 5 kids killed while texting.

Public opinion then supported the ban and fines.

The Oregon members, on here, will appreciate this a bit more, because they''ll know the Mt. I'm talking about.............................
    While driving south on Hwy.#101, (Oregon coast hwy, that hugs the ocean, from border to border), I was rounding a corner, going up "Neakahani Mountain", south of Canon Beach. Two lanes. On your left, (if headed south like I was), it's 500' straight up a mountain side.........on your right...............1,100' straight down to the Pacific Ocean.(after, you bounce off some rocks, the size of most cars).

Rounded the corner, in time to slam on the brakes, to keep FROM SLAMMING INTO THE REAR of a 38' long Itasca mtr.home.. STOPPED IN THE MIDDLE OF THE ROAD. It's raining, it's foggy, visibility about 50'.
    I pull over, thinking the mtr. home is broken down and this ISN'T a good spot to be broken down and sitting in! Get out, and THEN SEE a woman standing on the extended steps of the motor home?
    About 40 some years old, (NOT a teenager). I ask "If they're having trouble, and can I help them get off the road to a safe place?"
    "Oh no!! Thank you!!! I was just "texting my daughter, in California and when we got up so far, on this mountain, my phone lost the connection, so we thought driving up here, near the top, we'd get it back!"
    No, I didn't know what to say. What CAN you say, to a 40 something year old, OBVIOUSLY, mentally retarded, human being?
    So, shaking my head, I grabbed a flare from my rig and walked down to the beginning of the curve, I'd just rounded, and set on the shoulder to warn others. Then, got into my rig and drove around the motor home, continuing on my way.( yes, there WAS a turn-out, not 20' from where they had stopped in the middle of the hwy. that I was able to easily use, to get around them!).

As I went around the mtr. home, the woman was back inside, steps folded up, and she was NOW sitting in the passenger's seat, taking pictures of the coast line, down below the mountain!? WHAT, in this fog and rain, with visibility being about 50', she was taking pictures OF, I can't imagine.

They call it "Tourist Season", here, where I live at the beach and yet.............. they DON'T allow us to shoot them!? Doesn't seem fair...........
    Saint Paul-"The Highly Confused"
    You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never know how soon it will be too late.
    -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

You can dress em up, but you just can't take em out!
    Joe Valencic
    Life Member FFF
    Rod Builder in Chains

What gets me is seeing people driving down the road after 16 inches of snow TEXTING!

+ Reply to Thread